GTB/Makerhouse, Staff Journalist
6 days left
- Full Time
About the job
Do you have a passion for all things automotive? Are you fascinated by how technology is transforming the ways we move? Can you tell your PHEV from your MHEV? Do you have a keen eye for detail, a nose for a good story, and demonstrable editorial experience? Can you build great relationships with key contacts?
If you’re still reading this, then hopefully you’re thinking “yes” to much of the above. And that could be great news for both you and us.
Our client Ford is on a journey to Bring on Tomorrow and help their customers’ businesses thrive. That doesn’t just mean exciting new vehicles. It also means initiatives to make mobility smarter and safer, and innovative services that support customers by making their vehicles easier to buy, to drive, to recharge, to keep serviced and secure, and even to locate in busy car parks.
We are searching for a staff journalist to help find and develop the stories and create the content that will successfully communicate the client’s aspirations and accomplishments.
This stimulating and rewarding role would suit an ambitious junior writer with an interest in the automotive industry, who is keen to expand their experience and work within a PR agency environment. You’ll have the opportunity to embed yourself within a core team of people helping to support a huge brand’s communication aspirations and have the opportunity and support to learn new skills.
Makerhouse is a bespoke multi-disciplinary, creative production house. The agency was purpose built for Ford, WPP’s biggest client, by combining the best design-centric capability, storytelling and production operations expertise. Makerhouse consists of writers, filmmakers, editors, photographers, producers, designers and multimedia specialists, producing a vast array of different content for Ford.
Makerhouse has a global footprint, led out of Detroit, with the European team based in Düsseldorf, Cologne and London. In Europe, we service Ford’s operations across both Marketing Services and Public Affairs, acting as a single front-door to production services for our clients and partner agencies.
We are creative-driven, but understand the balance between creative excellence and efficiency, and the importance of not delivering one at the expense of the other. The Makerhouse mission is to deliver high-quality content to Ford as efficiently as possible.
Makerhouse works in close partnership with other WPP agencies on the Ford account, most notably with GTB in Germany and the UK.
Our editorial team of experienced journalists is central to conceiving, researching and crafting stories, many of which gain hundreds of pieces of coverage in consumer and automotive titles, online and in print, across Europe and the world over.
These could include an extensively researched and engagingly written piece on a new vehicle or innovative service; an article on the first ever virtual gaming race car designed in collaboration between gamers and a car brand; or an insightful media pitch about a connected car technology that lets the drivers of Ford cars know what hazards lie around the next corner. All accompanied by compelling visuals.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- You will research and develop media assets including press releases, pitch notes and vehicle technical specifications, and work alongside a skilled team of creative professionals to also help develop videos, factsheets, infographics and other assets that support news-making opportunities across passenger cars, commercial vehicles and related services and initiatives – fully utilising the resources available to you
- You will manage long-term projects and deliver materials to an exceptional standard and pre-determined deadlines, helping secure approvals with the client and relevant stakeholders
- You will react quickly to short notice requests and news-making opportunities, delivering cogent, accurate and engaging content in a fast-paced newsroom and feature writing environment
- You will ask the right questions to find and develop stories that will get national papers/websites excited, and appeal to a wider audience than purely automotive
- Like much of world, right now we are working from home, and you will initially need to do the same as you connect digitally with stakeholders and contacts. In typical circumstances you will be based at Sea Containers House on the South Bank, London
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent, or be able to demonstrate a proficiency and aptitude for creating engaging written materials through a portfolio of existing content
- Possess an enthusiasm for the automotive industry and related fields, a grasp of automotive technology and engineering, and familiarity with automotive jargon
- Have a keen eye for proofreading, fact-checking, cross-checking and spotting trends and anomalies in data charts
- Be able to dissect technical information and translate it into understandable copy
- Possess interests that extend beyond automotive to the technology, digital and/or consumer spaces
- Be comfortable interviewing people at all levels of seniority
- Be able to build respectful relationships with expert contacts
- Be able to use your own initiative to hunt down the next story
- Work with video editors and graphic designers to create assets to support your stories
- Be comfortable working within an agency and taking direction from multiple stakeholders
- Have a “can do” attitude and be prepared to deliver engaging, comprehensive, factually accurate and grammatically correct stories
- Ability to manage multiple work streams effectively
- The ability to work quickly and accurately, to a brief and to a deadline
Click 'APPLY NOW' and send us your CV and covering letter.