MoneySavingExpert, News and Investigations Editor
7 days left
- Full Time
MoneySavingExpert.com is the UK’s biggest consumer website. It provides millions of users with free, independent, editorially led information about all things money. The goal for everyone working at MSE is simple – we are dedicated to cutting consumer bills and fighting hard for financial justice for everyone.
About 15 million MoneySavers use our website every month. Our weekly email is full of exclusive deals, tricks, and MoneySaving guides, all aimed at helping people make the most of their cash.
The MSE Forum is a lively and supportive community, with more than 2 million users taking part in three million discussions, ranging from making the most of your credit card to good old fashioned thrifty budgeting. In addition, our Cheap Energy Club takes the hard work out of switching energy and saving on energy bills, while the MSE Credit Club is a great way of managing an array of financial decisions.
But what really makes MSE stand out from the crowd is the Editorial Code, which lies at the heart of everything we do. Regardless of role, at MSE it’s everybody’s job to champion the consumer – and that makes us a truly unique, exciting and rewarding place to work.
If you’re inspired by what we do or see yourself as a passionate consumer champion and have the grit and enthusiasm along with the capability to perform the objectives of the role, a career at MSE might just be the right career step you’re looking for.
Why join the News and Investigations Team?
MoneySavingExpert.com’s News and Investigations team covers breaking news and conducts in-depth investigations across a wide range of personal finance and consumer topics. Its output often leads the country’s news agenda given its history of producing a string of exclusives and/or hard-hitting stories on important topics that help millions of people save money.
Why our role?
The News and Investigations Editor plays a key role at the heart of the MSE editorial team. We’re looking for someone who is a strong leader, an experienced editor and is digital-savvy to help drive the site’s news content and to help ensure the whole site is up to date with current developments. In particular, the homepage falls under the team’s remit.
You will be part of the Editorial Senior Leadership team, alongside other section editors, to drive the site’s long-term growth. A key part of that will be to consider and deliver new ways to provide content in a digital age.
You will lead a team of four journalists to deliver breaking news and engaging content; and coach, guide and inspire the team to be the best they can.
Naturally, the role entails editing news stories, investigations and blogs on all sorts of personal finance and consumer topics, covering everything from banking and energy to travel and shopping. You’ll be commissioning, prioritizing and assigning stories, helping to oversee the news list and signing off content for publication. This must all be done to a high standard in keeping with a site which is one of the most trusted brands in the UK.
What will you be doing?
Key responsibilities – you will:
- Be a part of the editorial senior leadership team, playing a big role in the site’s future growth
- Lead a team of four talented journalists – coaching, mentoring and inspiring
- Create new ways to deliver content in a digital age
- Edit news stories and blogs, working on longer-term investigations
- Sign off content on the homepage
- Contribute content to the weekly email
- Champion news within MSE, helping us break big stories which are picked up elsewhere
- Work with other editors to ensure the whole editorial team works as one joined-up unit
What do you need to excel in this role?
- You should be a trusted and responsible leader capable of inspiring your team, challenging others constructively and thinking long-term
- Substantial experience as a journalist, including plenty of experience editing
- A flair for quality copy and the ability to bring to life often-complex subjects
- Experience in a digital environment
- Be able to work with and challenge other senior leaders
- A proven track record of breaking big news stories
- Experience using analytics and social media to improve performance
- Be a stickler for accuracy
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong time management/prioritisation skills
Nice to have skills:
- Knowledge of personal finance and consumer issues
- Experience in investigative journalism
- A proven track record in campaigning journalism
- Experience as a spokesperson on TV and radio
- Experience developing new ways to surface content digitally, whether via websites, apps etc
We're an inclusive, anti-racist and equal opportunity employer that values diversity. This means we respect and embrace differences in gender identity, race, ethnic origin, sexual expression and orientation, religion and faith, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, social background, education and way of thinking. We’re a place where you can be you.
We understand that job adverts only say so much and you’re likely to have a lot of questions. If you’d like to know anything before applying such as more on the location, salary, our parental leave policy etc, please just let us know and we’ll be happy to help. You can contact the Talent Acquisition Partner for this role, Meshall at firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome all applications and particularly those from black and minority ethnic candidates as we’re looking to build representation across our Editorial teams.
Please be aware that, if you’re successful in securing this position, the offer will be subject to several colleague checks that may include identity, right to work in the UK, credit, criminal record, references and, where relevant, professional qualifications.