The Grocer, Features Editor
Features Editor – Food & Drink Reports
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Features Editor to join The Grocer - the UK’s biggest, most interesting and most high-profile business media publication.
This is a full-time role, with responsibility for the smooth day-to-day running of The Grocer’s extensive reports on food and drink trends. These weekly reports are a crucial resource for the industry, providing insights into emerging consumer and shopping trends -- from plant-based food to CBD, from alcoholic seltzers to low-and-no alcohol beverages -- and covering all the leading grocery categories – from alcoholic drinks and bakery and confectionery, to soup, tobacco and vaping.
You will commission and write reports on what has worked – and what hasn’t – for retailers and suppliers, to build a picture of these markets and to look at what the future holds. It’s a fascinating time in the market, with a number of further extraneous issues in play, including the threat of health and obesity legislation, sustainability concerns and opportunities as well as the multiplicitous impacts of Covid-19 to consider, of course.
As well as an interest in food and drink, and curiosity around shopping, innovation, marketing etc you’ll need proven features writing and commissioning experience, and the editing skills to craft sometimes average content into snappy, engaging and insightful copy. You’ll also need to be organized, quick and hard working, with a decent head for figures, strong analytical skills and creativity.
Reporting into the Managing Editor, you will work closely and liaise extensively with the rest of the features team, with the art desk and subs, as well as journalists on The Grocer, freelance journalists and the commercial team. You will also be expected to build strong industry contacts, and to represent The Grocer at key grocery events and on TV and radio.
It's a high-pressure role, but for the right candidate, working on a very busy, vibrant and fun title, and as part of a big and award-winning team of journalists, it offers huge job satisfaction as well as a competitive salary and other benefits.
- Write and commission compelling, topical and agenda-setting features and reports, for The Grocer and thegrocer.co.uk, to reflect the vast and varied nature of the grocery sector and the wider food and drink industry
- Maintain the high editorial standards of The Grocer, editing features and reports for structure, length, accuracy, balance, readability, presentation and SEO, and ensuring that formats are appropriate and optimised for the media in which the content is to be delivered
- Collaborate with the commercial team to support The Grocer’s commercial imperative – developing content and formats that are conducive to advertising, whether in print or online, offering timely updates on our plans, and accommodating requests where appropriate
- Write news, analysis, comment pieces where appropriate and warranted and support The Grocer’s social media strategy
- Represent The Grocer in the best possible light at key conferences, events, awards and exhibitions
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Strong features and other long-form writing, commissioning and editing experience
- Strong numeracy skills and ideally B2B journalism experience
- The ability to quickly identify and prioritise key information from a wide and potentially conflicting range of sources in a cogent and compelling way
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Ambition and the desire to succeed and progress
- The ability to engage and network with senior level contacts
- A range of digital, multimedia and social media skills
COMPANY BENEFITS INCLUDE
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days annual leave in addition to bank holidays
- Contributory Pension
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Group Income Protection
We’re all working remotely right now, but there’s scope for flexible working arrangements to continue. The head office is based near Crawley, 30 minutes from Brighton and 10 mins from Gatwick and its connections to London and the world.
We warmly welcome and encourage applications from talented individuals of all backgrounds and characteristics. If you need any support in accessing this opportunity, please do not hesitate to discuss this with us.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for the position, please click APPLY NOW and include:
- Your up-to-date CV
- A one-page cover letter telling us why your experience and skills are a match for this role
- Any links or PDF examples of your journalistic output, to demonstrate relevant skills and knowledge.
We look forward to hearing from you.