Campaign, Deputy News Editor - FTC
Deputy news editor, FTC - Maternity Cover
Haymarket Media Group is a global media, data information and analytics company. Our purpose is to create trusted, premium specialist media brands that build powerful communities and drive valuable conversations.
The deputy news editor is responsible for overseeing the news output of Campaign online and in print and working with the Acting News Editor to develop the brand’s news and online content strategy.
- Ensure Campaign maintains its position as the leading provider of news and inspiration for the marketing, advertising and commercial media industry, and it hits its monthly targets for logged-in users.
- Oversee Campaign’s suite of bulletins, ensuring fresh content is published in a timely fashion throughout the day so strong bulletins populated by interesting stories go out on time.
- Write and edit news articles to Campaign’s house style and to the highest journalistic standards.
- Oversee the output of the reporting team, commissioning stories and supporting colleagues with their news gathering.
- Coordinate and edit the online stories from the wider Campaign team.
- Comprehensively hand over to the Acting News Editor to ensure a seamless transition between news editors and work with them to maintain a list of running stories and a comprehensive forward news diary.
- Write, edit and commission longer-form articles such as interviews, analysis, opinion articles and features to the highest journalistic standards.
- Working with the head of audience engagement, regularly review and react to engagement analytics data to ensure Campaign is delivering highly-engaging content for our audience.
- Work with the Acting News Editor to refine Campaign’s news strategy and priorities.
- Attend and report on key sector conferences and events, as and when necessary.
- Develop key contacts with a view to creating exclusive news stories and articles.
- Update the home page with the latest news and features in conjunction with the production editor and head of audience engagement.
- Monitor email inboxes, and other sources such as Twitter, for news, staying alert to subjects that might not make news stories but could make articles for other sections, and pass them on to relevant colleagues
- Monitor national media and competitors for relevant stories.
- Think creatively and take the initiative on news stories.
- Liaise with reporters – and the editors where appropriate – about angles, deadlines and word counts for stories; discussing contentious stories with the editor before publication.
- Liaise with the production editor about deadlines and updating the website.
- Liaise with the art desk/production editor about photos for news articles and source images in the absence of the art/production editors.
- Edit copy to length in consultation with the writer, ensuring relevance, clarity, accuracy, legality, fairness and balance.
- Help contribute to Campaign’s live events portfolio and chair panel debates, or take part in presentations, as and when necessary.
- Report all complaints to the editor.
- Set a high standard in general behaviour, appearance and professionalism.
- At least five years experience in journalism on newspapers or magazines, mostly in news.
- Experience working on a variety of types of story, including breaking off-diary stories gleaned from personal contacts, financial results and general business news.
- Experience of writing high-quality longer-form articles.
- Experience of public speaking and talking to the media.
- Interest in the marketing, advertising and media industries.
- Desirable – knowledge of the marketing, advertising and media industries.
Skills and attributes
- Enthusiasm for, and a good understanding of, the role of online as well as print journalism.
- Proficiency in social media.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good analytical and project management skills.
- A willingness to take responsibility for the news output, deal courteously and professionally with all colleagues and contacts, and act as an ambassador for the brand.
- An excellent understanding of media law.
Other benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Season ticket loan on passing probationary period
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit your lifestyle
Why work with us?
Our people are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. We pride ourselves on being the best specialist media company in the world and our talented teams ensure we produce brilliant content for our readers and event attendees. Thanks to them we have over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will impact world class brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
The Haymarket way
Our values aren’t just words – they’re the way we do things at Haymarket and influence our culture. Our team's success is fuelled by the dynamism, creativity and expertise of our people. But more than that – it’s crucial for us to behave with independence and integrity: towards each other, towards our audiences and towards our clients and partners.
Equal Opportunities Statement
As a global business operating in diverse markets, Haymarket is inherently multicultural. Globally we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole. We will use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
As such, we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding, exciting and fun place to work!
Click 'APPLY' now.