Campaign, Media Editor
Haymarket Media Group is a global media, data information and analytics company. Our purpose is to create trusted, premium specialist media brands that build powerful communities and drive valuable conversations.
We are seeking a senior journalist to head Campaign’s media coverage across all platforms – digital, print and live.
You will produce news, analysis and features for both online and print, as well as create content across audio and video, with the primary aim of serving Campaign’s audience of logged-in users; be an editorial leader and voice at Campaign events, conferences and awards; initiate and develop concepts for new, live events and products; and support the commercial strategy of Campaign, including hosting sponsored events, while maintaining editorial integrity.
The focus of this role is the UK commercial media industry, although some stories will be of interest to wider audiences, including in the US and Asia.
The core audiences that Campaign needs to reach and influence are media owners, media agencies and ad-funded technology companies, from UK-based global players to local operators.
The media editor will work closely with the tech editor to ensure comprehensive coverage of the digital media industry, which now accounts for 50% of all adspend in the UK.
Key responsibilities and accountability
- The media editor’s prime responsibility will be to deliver stories – written, audio, video, data – that build Campaign’s known audiences in the UK, digitally and in print, especially those in the media industry (both owners and agencies, as well as associated companies – from Facebook and TikTok to MediaCom and ITV). Where appropriate, these stories will have a wider interest for Campaign US and Campaign Asia audiences.
- The media editor will be responsible for helping to shape the direction of the content for live events and awards in the media space, including Media 360 and the wider 360 festival; the Media Week Awards; Campaign Media Awards; Campaign TV Advertising Summit; and others.
- The media editor will be expected to work with other senior journalists and the business director to identify the opportunity to launch and develop new products and in new markets – such as the audio and out of home summits launched in the last six months; breakfast briefings in London and other UK cities; virtual Campaign Connect conference in partnership with Campaign US and Campaign Asia.
- The media editor will, along with other senior members of the UK editorial team, be expected to support the commercial strategy of Campaign, including working with the Content Labs team to host and moderate sponsored events.
- This is a role for a proactive and experienced journalist, with previous experience as a reporter or section editor on respected publications/sites.
- An understanding of the dynamics of the media industry and a knowledge of the key players is essential.
The key skills are the ability to:
- Build and maintain important contacts throughout the media industry (both senior executives and rising stars)
- Generate exclusive stories
- Write fast, crisp, accurate copy
- Provide original insight into the key developments in the media sector
- Use analytics and real-time data to shape content strategy.
The ability to present and interview on stage, on audio and on video would also be a significant advantage.
Editorial integrity is vital to report rigorously and fairly on companies that may happen to be commercial partners of Campaign.
- Write and commission daily for Campaign’s site in the UK, deliver exclusive stories and cover the key developments in the media industry – including those which will be re-produced on, or adapted for, Campaign sites around the world.
- Edit, commission and write content for a daily and weekly media email bulletin in the UK and work with the news editor and other colleagues to ensure there is fresh and interesting content to lead the media bulletin each working day.
- Edit, commission and write content about media for the print edition of Campaign in the UK.
- Write regular columns on the latest developments and big issues keeping media professionals up at night.
- Ensure media content helps to drive Campaign’s strategy of growing its known audience, including logged-in users
- Advise the Intelligence Editor on Campaign AI
- Generate a constant stream of ideas for fresh content and new editorially-driven products to serve the media community.
- Play a leading role in the development of the content for all live UK events serving the media industry, including working with commercial, Content Labs, events and awards teams.
Other benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Season ticket loan on passing probationary period
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit your lifestyle
Why work with us?
Our people are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. We pride ourselves on being the best specialist media company in the world and our talented teams ensure we produce brilliant content for our readers and event attendees. Thanks to them we have over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will impact world class brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
The Haymarket way
Our values aren’t just words – they’re the way we do things at Haymarket and influence our culture. Our team's success is fuelled by the dynamism, creativity and expertise of our people. But more than that – it’s crucial for us to behave with independence and integrity: towards each other, towards our audiences and towards our clients and partners.
Equal Opportunities Statement
As a global business operating in diverse markets, Haymarket is inherently multicultural. Globally we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole. We will use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
As such, we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding, exciting and fun place to work!
Click 'APPLY' now.