The Telegraph, Associate Home News Editor
Role Purpose and Overview
In this role, you'll be a senior member of the home news editing team working at the heart of our busy newsroom. This role has responsibility for creating, planning and executing daily news coverage for the Telegraph website and newspapers.
We require an original thinker who can suggest and prosecute new angles, spot stories that other news editors may miss and who has the persistence and precision to ensure that copy is perfectly prosecuted.
This role will have line management responsibility, developing news reporters, ensuring that they reach their full potential and deliver original and exclusive news stories.
The successful candidate must be of sufficient experience and seniority to assume full responsibility for the news coverage on certain days, particularly over selected weekends.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and Development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our Commitment to Inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Responsibility for assisting the News Editor to create, plan and execute daily news coverage for the Telegraph website and newspaper.
- Defining fresh angles to develop news stories and ensure Telegraph coverage is ground-breaking and original.
- Helping the News Editor to maximise the impact of significant Telegraph investigations and exclusives over multiple days.
- Working with specialist reporters and investigations to craft original ideas into impactful news stories that are optimised over print and digital.
- Editing reporters’ stories to promote the strongest news lines.
- Managing and nurturing junior members of newsdesk and reporting staff.
- Take sole charge of The Telegraph’s news output when required and on rota, at weekends.
- Attending conference and planning meetings on behalf of the newsdesk, presenting plans to editor and other senior editorial staff.
Skills required for the role
- Proven track record of news editing at a high level with a mainstream national news outlet.
- Ability to seek out exclusive and breaking stories.
- Experience of selling stories at daily news conferences in a compelling and engaging fashion.
- Experience of planning coverage of future news events and preparing diary items of news.
- Experience of working to tight daily deadlines.
- Strong ability to write and edit articles clearly, concisely and to house style.
- Be familiar with and have experience of digital storytelling techniques.
- Have a good working understanding of social media channels.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.