The Independent, Deputy Picture Editor
Role: Deputy picture editor
Reporting to: Picture editor and group production editor
The Independent is looking for a deputy picture editor who will be responsible for supporting the smooth running of picture operations across Independent platforms.
The applicant needs to have a passion for all forms of photojournalism and will bring a proactive energy to the picture desk.
They must have experience of working on a live picture desk and knowledge of copyright laws.
Hybrid role: homeworking and office-based.
- Support picture editor and deputise in their absence
- Work across several platforms to supply visual content as needed
- Able to prioritise tasks in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proactively carrying out picture research, as well as controlling workflows
- Monitoring picture feeds – highlighting breaking news and other relevant images to department heads
- Produce/pitch engaging and original picture stories
- Ensure that all content is of the highest possible standard and adheres to house-brand requirements, with an awareness of the readers’ point of view
- Answer any copyright-related queries with confidence
- Working with a tight budget to ensure resources are used efficiently
- Able to train other staff on content systems where required
- Candidate will be expected to work 40 hours per week (not including breaks) including some weekends and different shift times
- Must have worked on a live picture desk with experience of web publishing and using image databases
- Excellent communication – across all departments, as well as external contacts
- Understand current affairs, as well as longer form feature content
- High attention to detail
- A proactive approach to work – to help ensure department is running as efficiently as possible
- Resourceful and creative – able to identify the very best imagery using a variety of sources
- Has an ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator – ability to design a variety of visual content for online, the daily edition and social media
- Able to add metadata to images
- Understanding of agency-editorial contracts, usage rights, permissions and copyright
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: This is a hybrid role involving Homeworking and at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.