Evening Standard, Video Journalist (P/T - Fri-Sun)
Reports to: Head of Video Location: West London
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live.
The Evening Standard video team
You’ll be joining a high-performing video team at an exciting time of development, with an ambition to create best-in-class video content for multi-platform delivery
- Min. 4 years’ experience in a news environment
- Excellent video production skills – filming and editing
- Strong news sense with a creative approach to storytelling
- Creative, fast and efficient with a no-fuss attitude
- An active interest in online/multi-platform video content
- Willingness to travel when required
Job purpose: You will be working alongside the Head of Video to create, produce, source, deliver video content for Standard.co.uk and associated platforms. This part-time position is to cover the video desk from Friday to Sunday and take full editorial responsibility over the weekend, when you will be working solo.
- Identifying, verifying and sourcing news video clips, including handling copyright permissions for UGC content
- Fast-turnaround editing of news clips, third party footage in response to the daily news agenda
- Publishing clips to CMS and video hosting platforms, with appropriate use of metadata
- Generating & pitching ideas for explainers and original video content, considering desk requirements and video analytics data
- Producing, shooting, and editing high-quality video content for Standard.co.uk and associated social platforms
- Editing clips in Adobe Premier & CC software
- Creation of original graphics in After Effects
- Monitoring and responding to video & website analytics to ensure optimised placement of content
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
Skills and Experience
- Working understanding of UK media law as pertains to video content creation and publishing
- Experience working in a fast-paced newsroom with proven ability to deliver to pressing deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
- Research skills - identifying newsworthy stories, finding compelling contributors and coming up with regular video story ideas
- Provable use of online research tools and social media search functions
- Strong communication skills, including ability to pitch stories well
- Experience writing video scripts, pitches and treatments, including writing pithy on-screen copy and voiceover
- Self-shooting video using DSLRs, including competent lighting, composition and shooting for the edit
- Fast, efficient editing in Adobe Premier Pro and good understanding of After Effects and Photoshop.
- Familiarity with news wires and clipping services
- Experience with Content Management Systems, including video hosting systems, with an understanding of metadata
- Experience using video and article analytics to inform creative decisions
- Understanding of best practices in content production for multi-platform distribution
To apply please click 'APPLY NOW' and send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
ESI Media is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.