PA Media Group, Head of Communications
Are you a passionate storyteller looking for an opportunity to lead the communications strategy within a cast-iron media organisation?
Join PA Media Group as our new Head of Communications and you’ll devise and execute our communication strategy to amplify the story of the group and its constituent parts. It’s an exciting and dynamic story about the changing nature of the media and how, together, we can thrive.
PA Media is the UK’s national news agency, supplying 24/7 journalism to every newsroom in the country. It sits at the heart of the PA Media Group which is now a portfolio of diversified news and information companies encompassing a large data division, the picture agency Alamy and the streaming service Stream AMG, among others.
You’ll be able to quickly grasp the heart of an issue and convey it; you will be a ruthless prioritiser, understanding what really matters in a story and its strategic relevance; you will have the excellent judgement needed to protect the group’s reputation for political neutrality and integrity; and you will be a skilled people person, confident at managing stakeholders and building your network through a diversified group with 1,000 employees, and beyond.
You’ll manage the press office, ensuring all reactive communications opportunities are quickly actioned as well as devise and drive the proactive storytelling of a media organisation with 150-year history.
This role is based in London, or our offices in Howden East Yorkshire but could be based anywhere in the UK if the candidate was happy to travel to London on a weekly basis.
What you’ll be doing …
- Raise the profile of PA Media Group and its constituent businesses to relevant audiences through compelling and impactful campaigns supporting our strategic objectives
- Drive opportunities for our key talent – from PA reporters and photographers to business leaders – to appear in the media on a weekly basis, maintaining our position of political neutrality
- Provide strategic advice and counsel to internal stakeholders around communications opportunities and issues in order to manage the company’s profile
- Assess and respond to external requests for information in order to convey a positive image of the Press Association
- Manage and advise on crisis/issues when and where appropriate protecting PA Media’s independence and political neutrality at all times
- Support communication objectives for the executive team when and where appropriate
- Develop trusted relationships with the media that reflect our brand values
- Ensure that all our comms are delivered to the high standard expected from the UK’s national news agency.
- Develop an internal comms strategy and support the group to execute it in order to connect the organisation, build culture and convey organisation-wide messaging; oversight of all internal channels – intranet and staff emails
What you’ll need …
- A strategic thinker able to build solid, successful business relationships?
- Able to work quickly and accurately under pressure?
- Passionate about news and media?
Do you have...
- B2B communications experience gained either in a media organisation either agency or in-house?
- Very strong writing skills and extensive experience of writing a variety of PR materials?
- Demonstrable portfolio of pro-actively achieved multi-media coverage?
- Experience in managing and advising on crisis/issues communications?
What we can offer you...
This role offers a unique opportunity to be at the heart of media and journalism and no two days will be the same. You’ll have the opportunity to work with people at every level across the organisation, making the case for communications to be at the heart of the business.
You can also expect:
- Competitive package including 25 days holiday
- 10% management bonus
- The opportunity to work with talented colleagues in a supportive and collaborative environment
- Excellent home / work life balance including home working and flexible start and finish times
- A positive culture where your contribution is valued
We’re working hard to ensure we provide an inclusive environment and as well as your skills and experience we’re also focused on who you are and what else you can bring. We recognise the importance of a healthy work life balance and positively encourage agile working.
We are always open to discuss an individual’s flexible working needs so please speak to us during the recruitment process to understand what this could look like for you. We will do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
We will be considering candidates as they apply, so please do not delay in submitting your application as we may decide to close the advert early. To find out more about working with us, search #151Reasons on LinkedIn or check out our Life page,