The Telegraph, Production Journalist
Role purpose and overview
We are looking for someone with high-quality production skills, who can show initiative in their approach to bringing newspaper pages to sign-off. The ability to craft sharp headlines, and to quickly and accurately sub copy are vital.
As part of The Telegraph’s newsroom-based team, you’ll also be able to build relationships with reporters to directly address any queries, resulting in higher-quality pages.
We are recruiting for roles across news, features, comment and supplements, but you should have the flexibility to work on any section if required. As part of a large, in-house team there will be development opportunities both in terms of seniority and specific subject areas.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Taking responsibility and pride in their role in the production of our newsprint products across seven days (on a rota basis).
- Set a high standard of quality in the production of pages, through quick and effective subbing of stories, sharp headlines or captions, as directed by chief production journalists (CPJs) or the Head of Production.
- Ensure that all deadlines are met with regard to the production of newsprint products.
- Maintain a flexible approach at all times, willing and able to turn a hand to any section of the main paper, or support specialist subs in other areas.
- Support the senior production team by making themselves available for new tasks after completing their existing work.
- Have a proven track record for accuracy and attention to detail, ideally with back-bench experience.
- Be expert in use of all print-production systems, for words, pictures and pages.
- Have a flair for the "look" of pages including headlines, captions, graphics and pictures.
- Be capable of re-writing copy and captions to a high standard.
- A proven aptitude for interpreting instructions from senior colleagues and creating ready-for-sign-off pages, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to build relationships with reporters, liaising with them directly to address queries on stories.
- Experience with InDesign. (Desirable)
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to adopt new techniques, streamlining of production processes. (Desirable)
- Experience in different styles of sub-editing and working across different sections. (Desirable)
- A quick learner - able to adapt to new tasks with ease and eager to take on new roles when required. (Desirable)
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.