Social Housing, Senior Reporter
Role: Senior reporter
Publication: Social Housing magazine
Employer: Ocean Media Group
Location: London (with some remote working possible)
Job type: Full-time, permanent
Salary: £25,000-£27,000 DoE
Closing date: 1st July 2021
Take your opportunity to join the Social Housing team at Ocean Media Group, working on the go-to finance publication for the UK affordable housing sector as our new senior reporter. You’ll share our passion for putting customers first and delivering market-leading information that helps our audience excel. Most of all you’ll join an innovative team who truly believes that Together We Succeed.
This next step in your career provides an exciting opportunity for you to play a key role in delivering Social Housing’s news content online and in print. You can help set the agenda for high-level decision-makers as the sector rallies to meet unprecedented challenges amid sustained demand.
You will focus on producing insightful, accurate and timely news and analysis articles that inform senior housing professionals, the investment community and wider stakeholders.
Based in the buzzing commercial hub of Canary Wharf, Ocean Media is both well-established and strongly positioned for substantial growth. Ambitious, innovative, entrepreneurial and fun, the group is full of leading titles in its key markets, spanning events, publications and data services.
You’ll work specifically for Social Housing magazine, delivering an exceptional service to our readers, who include senior finance and executive leaders at housing associations and councils, as well as lenders, investors, advisors and partners to the sector.
Your role will include:
- Delivering a blend of exclusive and on-diary stories for the weekly newsletter and monthly print edition, providing added value to content that readers do not get elsewhere, through an analytical approach
- Pitching and writing longer features, writing around one per monthly edition
- Attending conferences and events, representing the Social Housing brand
- Building and maintaining a strong network of contacts at a senior level within housing finance
- Managing and editing blog submissions and creating weekly newsletters
- Helping to deliver digital best practice across Social Housing platforms
- Supporting the editor and data editor to deliver the monthly print cycle, including some editing as required
You will have:
- A minimum of two years’ experience on local, national or trade news desks (some financial or data-reporting experience preferred)
- A keen news sense and a proven track record of securing important exclusive news stories and writing high-quality, accurate news copy, on deadline
- Excellent knowledge of media law and a journalism qualification of NCTJ standard or equivalent
- Good working knowledge of major issues affecting the UK policy environment and economy
- An interest in, and aptitude for financial journalism
- Fast and eager learner able to pick up new topics quickly
- Experience managing and building contacts and using them to deliver exclusive news stories
- Ability to research and write longer-form stories – including investigative and analysis-based pieces
- Strong grasp of numbers; some experience using Excel for basic data analysis/creating graphs
In recognition of our talented people and as a thank you for the hard work they do, we are committed to offering:
- Season ticket loans
- Flexible working hours
- Discounted gym memberships
- Optional health care scheme
- Annual Christmas and Summer parties
- An additional day’s annual leave to be taken for birthdays
- Development and training
- Social commitments and people perks
- Bike2Work scheme
To start your Ocean journey, please click APPLY NOW and send your CV and a short covering letter through to Alexandra Smith (HR manager) including ‘Social Housing senior reporter’ in the title.
Closing date: 1st July 2021