The Telegraph, Lifestyle Reviews Editor
Role purpose and overview
We are looking for a senior journalist for 12 months to manage the reviews section of Telegraph Lifestyle. This person will commission and edit product reviews across features, weekend sections from gardening to health and food & drink, the Recommended channel and other lifestyle areas. They will ensure that the Telegraph editorial standards are adhered to, and reviews are of the standard and quality expected by Telegraph readers.
The Lifestyle Reviews Editor will manage one lifestyle writer and liaise with the Head of Digital Lifestyle and the Digital Features Editor, plus the Lifestyle Director/Telegraph Deputy Editor as and when appropriate.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Commission and edit top quality, tried and tested product reviews, using the best writers and experts, to ensure Telegraph editorial standards are fully met.
- Ensure all reviews are rigorously tested by our journalists or experts in the relevant field.
- Maintain editorial independence, and ensure all decisions align with the Telegraph brand and core readership whilst upholding the highest editorial standards.
- Ensure the Telegraph brand never appears alongside products that omit firsthand consumer experience or expert analysis. Only put forward categories that are right for, and desired by, the Telegraph audience.
- Make sure relevant products are properly sourced, delivered, tested and returned.
- Optimise and prioritise affiliate pieces with the highest return, by removing the long tail of unread/unyielding articles currently on the site to an amount agreed by the Head of Digital Lifestyle and the Lifestyle Director.
- Remove links from non performant editorial initiated articles that are not delivering revenue, as well as links/products that are out of date.
- Ensure that those articles we keep live are revisited and refreshed to ensure that they are accurate and timely, as well as properly meet our quality thresholds.
- Commission freelance journalists to cover niche or specialist areas as and when needed.
- This is a senior role requiring an experienced journalist with a breadth of contacts and the ability to make new ones in a fast-paced newsroom environment.
- Brilliant digital publishing and editing skills, plus the ability to train and mentor junior writers/reviewers.
- A great communicator, with rigorous attention to detail.
- Experience in the field of lifestyle journalism and, ideally, product reviews.
- Must be able to strike the perfect balance of high-quality editorial and commercial-related content. These pieces require the same editorial building blocks as any feature or news story seen across the Telegraph's many verticals.
- Knowledge of SEO.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.