A key design position responsible for creating exciting and impactful pages across the daily newspaper while ensuring deadlines are hit and high standards met in a high pressure news environment. There will be some additional work for online platforms as well as various other supplements and sections when required.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Working closely with the Head of design and Art Director to ensure pages are created to a high design standard, and ensuring creative output is dynamic and relevant.
- Working closely with the picture and video desk, identifying the most appropriate use of imagery and assets.
- Taking briefs from the Head of design, and ensuring these are executed accurately and on deadline.
- Daily meetings with the newsroom editors and head of design.
- Working proactively, constantly striving to improve the look of the newspaper.
- Ensure all created content is of excellent quality.
- Meticulous design and consideration to all elements of the newspaper.
- You have a strong newspaper design background, at a senior level, good editorial acumen and the ability to deliver under pressure.
- Highly organised, with excellent attention to detail, you understand the needs of the reader, keep abreast of current design and visual trends, and strive to produce market leading visual content.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and working within a team comes easily to you.
- You remain calm and considered in a highly pressurised environment and you are an excellent communicator.
- You can think outside the box when it comes to design problems and solutions.
Skills and Experience
- Proven experience of editorial design in print in a senior role- online experience is also preferable.
- Fluent in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Experience working in a dynamic and fast-moving newsroom.
- Able to work with external contributors.
- Proven experience at managing a production process on deadline and on budget.
- Proven ability to deliver high-quality content to very tight deadlines.
Click APPLY NOW and please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
Evening Standard is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.