Yahoo, Video Programmer
We are looking for a video programmer to join the editorial team. The person in this role will be comfortable working with original and partner content to ensure we maximise the exposure of all the content at our disposal to serve our users and drive revenue.
Reporting to the Head of Video, the candidate will work with the section heads and editors across the entire editorial team to ensure we are promoting the most suitable and up-to-date content in either our written content or as standalone video. Whether it be the political turmoil in the U.S., the dramatic scenes in hospitals and care homes in the fight against COVID, or the latest drama to air on Netflix and the BBC, your job will be to ensure we have the appropriate content.
This will mean having excellent communication skills and being at ease working in a cross-function manner.
You will have experience telling stories through video/audio in a number of ways - everything from daily clips on social channels to accessing the right video from our providers.
Video and audio are crucial areas in which Yahoo UK has shown innovative ways in which to reach new and existing audiences and you will be expected to thrive in this environment.
The role is a 12-month contract with a competitive salary. Remote working will be considered, although some presence in our central London offices will be needed when required.
What you will be doing:
- You will work closely with the Head of Video and Audio to implement our video strategy.
- You will be a self-starter, who knows when to be nimble and react to breaking news and when to plan for major events all with the mobile audience front of mind.
- You will help co-ordinate Yahoo UK’s day-to-day coverage and liaise with senior colleagues - in the UK - over the promotion of content and sharing of resources.
- You will help manage the team and content on a daily basis, adapting the resource to match the changing calendar.
- You will be comfortable using data analytics platforms to understand Yahoo UK’s audience and interpret that data to inform editorial strategy.
- Work flexible hours in order to meet the demands of a digital newsroom.
- You will seek new ways to tell a story in an engaging way across audio and video.
A little bit about you.
The ideal candidate will:
- Ideally have 2 years’ experience in digital media, specialising in video.
- Be passionate about news and the opportunity to serve society.
- Have a track record of success programming video in a fast-paced media environment.
- Be able to demonstrate creativity and problem solving on a daily basis.
- Have experience liaising with multiple stakeholders.
- Be inclusive and collaborative.
- Understand the importance of tone, and adapt video/audio according to content and format.
- Be familiar with video, motion graphics and photo editing tools (particularly Adobe products).
- Have a passion for social media, and demonstrate an ability to create content for different social platforms.
- Have excellent communication skills at all levels, and an ability to work collaboratively with multiple teams.
- BA or BS degree (or higher) preferred - journalism-related, or a demonstrable equivalent in real-world experience.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, colour, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
We are dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment.
Click APPLY NOW and send us your CV and covering letter and please include examples of your work across a range of topics.