The Telegraph, Business Reporter
Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph is looking for an ambitious journalist to join its growing business team as a reporter. This role involves delivering fast, clean and accurate first takes off major breaking stories and ensuring we have unrivalled coverage of the biggest on diary topics of the day.
The principal focus of the business reporter will be to produce strong, interesting business content which will work as well digitally as it does in print. You'll cover the early part of the day, starting at 7am. The role will involve the coverage of a variety of areas of the corporate and economic world, and may include focusing on a specialism at certain times.
Applicants will need to have an acute news sense and be demonstrable self-starters who are highly capable of managing the diary driven aspects of the role but also keen to seize opportunities to pitch their own ideas. They will also need to be numerically literate, team players, and digitally savvy.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Reporting on breaking news stories and covering major corporate and economic events as they happen.
- Monitoring the wires and corporate announcements, and writing stories based on these.
- Building and maintaining a range of relevant contacts.
- Developing interview and feature ideas, with a focus on exclusive insights which will support our subscription strategy.
- Ensuring fast and accurate filing of copy.
- Having the versatility to cover a range of business subject areas.
- Responsible for helping to maximise digital engagement through concise and interesting storytelling.
- Experience of reporting on news and developing stories on digital and print platforms.
- Demonstrable proof of the ability to tell stories in a concise but interesting way.
- Experience of covering either business and/or economic news in a newspaper, newswire or digital environment.
- Highly numerically literate.
- Digitally savvy - understanding of digital storytelling and optimisation of content through social media and SEO.
- Ability to spot stories and opportunities from raw data.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.