Hearst UK, Sub Editor - Homes Hub
7 days left
- Full Time
At Hearst UK, there’s always more to the story. Join our Homes Hub as our new Sub Editor to start the next chapter in your career.
We’re the UK’s leading premium publisher, and the people behind iconic media brands such as Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar and Country Living. We’ve created a working environment that encourages everyone to pull together. We never stop looking for brave new ideas. We’ll always try to develop and improve, we trust each other to do our best, and we have fun as we build on our heritage to make history.
You will sub copy to a high standard on Country Living and House Beautiful and make sure all articles are presented in a style and tone fitting with the relevant brand.
- Sub copy to a consistently high standard, editing copy to fit, and providing captions, heads, sells and pull quotes in keeping with the style of the relevant brand
- Be a meticulous checker of facts and details and to be relentless in the pursuit of obtaining accurate information
- Rewrite copy where necessary, improving the flow, questioning what is missing or seems incorrect and filling in the ‘gaps’ to improve clarity for the reader
- Look at pictures when subbing text and make sure they work together, and that pictures are correctly credited
- Work closely with all departments, including editorial, advertising and marketing to ensure the work flows smoothly and to deadline
- Handle advertorials, subscription pages and newsletters through the production process, from conception to completion
- Fully understand the schedules, deadlines and production processes such that you can deputise in the absence of the Chief Sub /Deputy Chief Sub
- Take a keen interest in taking on responsibility and assist the Chief Sub / Deputy Chief Sub at busy times. This may involve chasing copy, advising freelancers, filing proofs from old issues and sending pages to repro
- Contribute as part of a content hub, writing original, engaging and factual copy for use across all the brands’ platforms
- Demonstrable experience working as a sub editor
- First-class command of the English language
- Meticulous and organised
- Excellent team player yet able to work independently
- Good interpersonal/interdepartmental skills
- Ability to manage stressful situations to a positive outcome
- Able to use and act on own Initiative
- Proficient in Word and Indesign
- Familiar with Photoshop
WHAT WE OFFER
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days)
- Flexible working – we’re happy to discuss options!
- Summer working hours
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!