Managing IP, Reporter
JOB TITLE: Reporter
REPORTS TO: Managing Editor, MIP
DEPARTMENT: NextGen, FP&S
1. JOB PURPOSE
The primary purpose of this role is to source and write original, in-house/company-side analysis of major trends and developments – predominantly in Europe – for Managing IP, the leading B2B news and analysis service for intellectual property lawyers. Founded in 1990, Managing IP is a subscription website that covers all aspects of IP, including trademarks, patents, copyright and trade secrets. Our readers include law firms, companies and IP offices (government agencies responsible for IP rights administration) from across the world.
2. PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Pitch and write at least two weekly high-value, exclusively sourced pieces uncovering company legal actions/strategy. Depending on the nature of the article, these should include three in-house sources and two from other fields (private practice, academics, industry bodies, etc);
- Secure at least one new contact/quoted source each week – usually a senior in-house counsel figure within a company – and build network to agreed metrics;
- Develop and maintain good relationships with senior figures at corporates and law firms, including obtaining feedback on topics/trends that can be incorporated into future articles;
- Work closely with your editor to expand areas of coverage and track engagement with content;
- Offer alternative forms of content including podcasts and data analysis;
- Chair, moderate and report on regional conferences in Europe, acting as a brand ambassador;
- Stay abreast of MIP’s beat;
- Promote content via social media (LinkedIn and Twitter) and among sources and contacts to drive loyalty and affinity for the brand;
- Grow MIP’s presence in Europe with regular meetings (where possible);
- Work with global editorial team to help make MIP content engaging and drive website growth
3. ORGANISATION CHART
Managing Editor > Reporter
4. KEY INTERFACES
Editorial, Events, Marketing, Subscriptions, Advertising
- Some knowledge of intellectual property law
- Excellent written English and writing ability, including creativity and engagement
- Strong communication skills
- Perseverance and ability to find new sources
- Strong time management and efficiency
- Ability to follow style guidelines closely
- Knowledge of SEO and how to write for the web
- Existing contacts within major corporates and/or law firms would be beneficial but not essential
- Previous journalism experience (NCTJ or equivalent preferable)
- Travel abroad for conferences as necessary (locations include US, Europe and Asia)
6. UK BENEFITS
UK staff are entitled to a range of benefits, including medical care, gym discounts, discounted shares and season ticket loans.
NextGen is part of the Financial and Professional Services division of Euromoney Institutional Investor, an international business-information group listed on the London Stock Exchange and a member of the FTSE 250 share index.
At NextGen, we are building the future of information services: transforming our portfolio of B2B publishing brands into a modern, global information business.
Our business serves professionals across the financial and professional services sector, covering markets such as banking, legal, and insurance. We are a highly diversified business with services that support clients' market intelligence, business development, and workflow solutions, and over 70% of our revenue is recurring. Across NextGen, we have over 600 colleagues located in three main hubs, and customers in over 150 countries.
Our business is transforming as we seek to retain the relevance our brands have within the markets they serve, while also taking advantage of our scale to deliver better results for our customers and shareholders. This means laser focus on responding to our client's needs for specialism, while also building common tools and functions that allow us to meet customers’ needs better.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial culture – enabling creative, action-oriented, and knowledgeable professionals to do their best work. We also believe in autonomy, accountability, passion, and a sense of humour. For more information on the company and our strategy, please visit: https://www.euromoneyplc.com/about-us.