Live Science, Senior Writer
Live Science is a top online science news publisher that draws more than 25 million users a month and aims to reach everyone who is curious about the world and how it works. Our smart, creative and hardworking reporters scour journals, talk to experts and mine online resources to find the most interesting discoveries in everything from archaeology to physics to health.
Live Science is looking for a well-informed, sharp and hardworking science writer with 3 to 5 years of experience in digital science reporting and with a focus in Earth science, physics or mathematics. This person should be a superb writer and a science news junkie, with a shrewd ability to discern which discoveries and news items speak to a Live Science reader. The science writer should be self-motivated and keep abreast of all the big (and some obscure) journals in their beat and the news of the day.
The senior writer will pitch, report and write several science news and feature stories a week. The person will also work with the video and social media teams to create content targeted to those platforms. This writer will keep editors up to date on what is happening in their science beats and how Live Science can cover the news in a meaningful and creative way.
The senior writer should be enthusiastically curious, have terrific organizational skills, a passion for disseminating compelling science news and work well on a team with other reporters and editors.
What will be expected of me?
- Keep up with the latest discoveries and ongoing research in their beat(s).
- Explore journals and other resources to find interesting pitches for Live Science articles and other content.
- Write one to two articles a day.
- File clean copy that follows AP style.
- Cultivate sources and identify and cover relevant conferences and live events, working with editors to plan coverage.
- Find enterprise stories with a unique Live Science angle
What will I need to succeed?
- Proven experience as an online science news writer.
- A firm grasp of either Earth science, physics or mathematics.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in journalism, with science journalism a plus.
- The ability to read and interpret scientific journal articles to conduct intelligent interviews with relevant scientists.
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees (when we get back to the office)
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
Future is a global multi-platform media company and leading digital publisher, with scalable brands and diversified revenue streams. We are dedicated to connecting over 300 million people worldwide with their passions, through expert content, world-class events and cutting-edge proprietary technology. We have big ambitions to transform media and change people’s lives.
We have a market-leading portfolio of over 220 brands spanning across technology, gaming, TV & entertainment, women’s lifestyle, music, sport, creative and photography, home interest and B2B. You may have heard of us…
But a stellar heritage isn’t enough. We continue to grow our portfolio and launch new brands, restlessly looking to improve, innovate and push the boundaries of what can be done. We develop leading-edge technology which is disrupting the media marketplace.
Together, we’re exceeding the expectations of everyone we exist for – our audiences, clients, staff and shareholders. In a short space of time, Future has transformed into an innovative global media platform.
We reap the rewards too, of course, with a fun and creative place to work with endless opportunities to forge a career. We believe in teamwork that transcends location, so we don’t have a Future HQ but a globally connected workforce across the UK, US, Europe and Australia
Every kind of talent is celebrated here.. We hire for person not for the role, looking for people who share our ambitions to be bold and innovate, making Future a global success story.
Let’s do this!
To apply for this role, please visit our site and submit your CV and a covering letter explaining why this is your dream job!
Inclusion & Diversity
At Future we are passionate about ensuring that as a business, we are continuing to promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do.
Future is an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process will be free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respects all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values which will continue to ensure that all applicants, current and future employees are treated with respect and fairness.
We are continuing to be inclusive in our approach to flexible working, ensuring that we are making adjustments where required and providing our employees the tools and support to enable them to grow and flourish in their careers