The Telegraph, Assistant Comment Editor
- Full Time
As an Assistant Comment Editor, you will help deliver all aspects of Comment’s work across print and digital.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- You will work on the Telegraph’s comment desk, commissioning and editing opinion pieces both for print and online.
- You will represent the comment desk at editorial meetings and pitch ideas to the relevant editors.
- Some Saturday and Sunday working required.
- Strong editorial judgement and ability to distinguish quickly between good and bad ideas and pitches.
- Interest in politics and current affairs.
- Ability to come up with original angles on stories that will work as comment articles.
- Excellent writer with the ability to edit and improve copy quickly.
- Confident headline writer.
- Understanding of SEO and social media platforms.
- Previous experience working with comment writers would be desirable.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.