Daily Star, Overnight News Reporter
Two of Britain’s fastest growing national newspaper websites are seeking talented, dynamic journalists to cover the biggest and best news stories, at home and abroad, overnight. The successful candidates will be full of ideas and adept at covering everything from terror attacks and natural disasters to UFO conspiracy theories and the good old British weather.
This is a unique role that offers a foot in the door at a national newsroom, while also affording levels of responsibility and autonomy you might not experience in more conventional working hours.
The core working hours are 11pm-7am, with more conventional hours every so often on a rota basis. This is a fantastic opportunity for a reporter wanting to make their mark on established national brands with big audiences - and even bigger ambitions! Experience in a digital newsroom is desirable, along with knowledge of SEO and social media. This position will involve remote working.
Please note we will be reviewing applications for this role as applications are submitted. Due to this the role may close without notice, so please don't delay in your application.
So, who are we?
Hello, we are Reach! You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express, Daily Star and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Focus on breaking news in the UK and overseas, ensuring that the focus is always on the site’s most searchable and shareable stories
- Show an understanding of the Daily Mirror & Star brands key content and ensure a steady flow of this content
- Cover live events and use PR and news contacts to pull in exclusive interviews and stories that will deliver a richness of content to the site
- Source and spot on-brand stories from a range of places
- Push content via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in accordance with the digital social media policy
- Optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy
Stay on top of all developments in the news and cover those on the site
- React quickly to breaking news stories
- Wherever possible, identify unique headlines and angles for stories covered elsewhere to make content more unique and on-brand
- Demonstrate an understanding of media law
- Write and edit in accordance with digital house style
- Read major global sites and form a thorough knowledge of competitors
- Monitor social media for breaking stories and reaction
The Ideal Candidate
Who are we looking for?
- Proven track record in breaking exclusives and building strong contacts
- Outstanding writing skills
- Ability to work under pressure, multitask, forward plan and have a good eye for content that works best online
- Understanding of different types of web traffic, how to increase organic traffic and a strong news sense
- Excellent interpersonal skills, grammatical and organisational skills
Attention to detail
- Experience of working in a reporting role for a regional or national publication or agency
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Plus lots of high street discounts
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.