PRWeek, News Editor
Haymarket Media Group is a global media, data information and analytics company. Our purpose is to create trusted, premium specialist media brands that build powerful communities and drive valuable conversations.
PRWeek is run by a small but senior team of journalists with their fingers on the pulse of this vibrant sector, which demands important and topical stories across the worlds of business, politics, consumer brands and popular culture. The news editor is the beating heart at the centre of this operation, responsible for overseeing the news output of PRWeek online and in print and working with the UK Editor to develop the brand’s news and online content strategy.
Key measures of success are measured across PRWeek UK by:
- Increases in engagement across the site, as defined in annual targets
- Increases in logged in users, as defined in annual targets.
- Increases in digital subscription volumes
- Increases in online registrations and bulletin sign ups
- Increases in our WES
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Finding news
- Writing news analysis
- Breaking news
- Editing, presenting and distributing news and analysis output for PRWeek
- Ensure PRWeek maintains its position as the leading provider of news and inspiration for the PR and Communications industry, and it hits its monthly targets for logged-in users.
- Managing output from other writers
- Liaising with PRWeek news editors in the US and Asia
- Putting together a compelling news bulletin each day (and one weekly round-up) and ensuring it goes out on time
- Taking overall responsibility for both news content on PRWeek.com and for the news element of PRWeek's quarterly print magazine
- Attend and report on key sector conferences and events, as and when necessary.
- Develop key contacts with a view to creating exclusive news stories and articles.
- Update the home page with the latest news and features in conjunction with the production studio and head of audience engagement.
- Help contribute to PRWeek’’s live events portfolio (awards & conferences) and chair panel debates, or take part in presentations, as and when necessary.
- Help contribute to PRWeek’’s commercial content as and when necessary.
- Report all complaints to the editor.
- Set a high standard in general behaviour, appearance and professionalism.
- Becoming an ambassador and spokesperson for PRWeek in the wider business and media community
- Be an accomplished news journalist with proven experience on a busy periodical or website
- Have some experience of news editing in a fast-moving sector
- Be a self-starter, well-used to taking full responsibility for the output of of news-led title
- Be a team player, working well with other senior journalists, supporting one another
- Be a current affairs geek, taking close interest in breaking developments in business, politics, media and culture
- Have an obsession with journalistic quality; accuracy of facts, the English language and legal considerations in publishing
Skills and attributes
- Enthusiasm for, and a good understanding of, the role of online as well as print journalism.
- Proficiency in social media.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good analytical and project management skills.
- A willingness to take responsibility for the news output, deal courteously and professionally with all colleagues and contacts, and act as an ambassador for the brand.
- An excellent understanding of media law.
Other benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Season ticket loan on passing probationary period
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit your lifestyle
Why work with us?
Our people are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. We pride ourselves on being the best specialist media company in the world and our talented teams ensure we produce brilliant content for our readers and event attendees. Thanks to them we have over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will impact world class brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
The Haymarket way
Our values aren’t just words – they’re the way we do things at Haymarket and influence our culture. Our team's success is fuelled by the innovation, creativity and expertise of our people. But more than that – it’s crucial for us to behave with integrity and respect: towards each other, towards our audiences and towards our clients and partners.
Equal Opportunities Statement
As a global business operating in diverse markets, Haymarket is inherently multicultural. Globally we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole. We will use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
As such, we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding, exciting and fun place to work!