The Telegraph, Assistant Puzzles Editor (fixed-term contract)
Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph publishes more than 100 puzzles per week across print, digital and web. All puzzles are commissioned, proofed, fact-checked, subbed, uploaded and signed off for press by the puzzles department.
We are looking for an Assistant Puzzles Editor to provide maternity cover as part of a small team responsible for this increasingly important part of our offering. This person will work to ensure that puzzles are produced and published in a timely fashion, with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
The Assistant Puzzles Editor acts as a key point of contact with readers and puzzle suppliers. They also manage the weekly and monthly prize puzzle draws, including prize fulfilment.
The Assistant Puzzles Editor reports to the Puzzles Editor and works with other Telegraph departments, including Design, Picture Desk, Helpdesk and Customer Services, as required.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Liaise with puzzle providers (internal and external) to ensure the timely delivery and publication of puzzle content.
- Upload of puzzle content to the Telegraph Puzzles website.
- Proofreading and fact-checking of general knowledge crosswords, quizzes and other puzzles.
- Checking specific puzzles daily for consistency and accuracy.
- Proofreading of newsletters and other articles.
- Responding to enquiries and raising issues with the Puzzles Editor and other departments as necessary.
- Management of weekly and monthly prize puzzles draws, including prize fulfilment and raising purchase orders for prizes as required.
- Processing payments to puzzle providers and contributors.
- Layout of weekend print puzzles pages for sign-off.
- Great attention to detail and able to work to a high degree of accuracy.
- Must be used to working to set deadlines.
- Excellent command of written language and/or experience of proofreading is essential.
- Good communicator with both colleagues and customers, particularly when responding to complaints.
- Knowledge of (or the ability to swiftly learn) how to use The Telegraph’s publishing systems, including Adobe InDesign and content management systems.
- Working knowledge of Google Docs and Google Sheets preferable.
- Previous experience of working in an editorial team would be advantageous.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.