The Times and The Sunday Times, Digital Picture Editor - Maternity cover
3 days left
- Full Time
The Times and The Sunday Times are looking for a digital picture editor for a one-year maternity cover contract.
The successful candidate will work closely with desk editors, the smartphone and website team, the tablet team, the data and digital storytelling team, the audience team and our social media experts to create outstanding picture packages on our digital platforms, visually enhancing our journalism.
Applicants will have experience working with picture researchers and photographers, as well as commissioning photoshoots on a news picture desk or at a picture agency. You must have the creative ability to originate unique and compelling ideas that engage readers.
Apply with your CV and a covering letter by August 1.
- Editing the pictures on The Times and The Sunday Times digital editions, ensuring that they meet our editorial and design standards
- Working with the picture research team to manage the picture research for our digital editions
- Partnering with the social media and audience engagement teams to produce engaging social media picture packages
- Investigating suitable exclusive content ideas or picture-led stories, including archive content
- Ensuring that forward planning is managed effectively, especially for major events or exclusive stories on social media platforms and our website
- Commissioning The Times and The Sunday Times photographers to produce distinctive images for digital picture packages to be used on the website and smartphone app and our social media platforms
- Managing relationships with freelance photographers, agencies and other external contacts to source or commission pictures
- Ensuring all pictures published are editorially compliant and appropriately attributed
- Working on any picture research shift in news, foreign, business and features, and filling in as required
Skill and experience
- A qualification or strong experience in journalism or photography
- Experience working in the media, especially on a news picture desk or picture agency
- Strong understanding of how digital publishing differs from print
- Strong understanding of social media platforms and how they can engage our existing audience and drive new subscribers to The Times and The Sunday Times
- Highly competent with SEO techniques
- Able to integrate audience data and adapt picture stories accordingly
- Experience establishing strong working relationships and building credibility with senior managers
- A proven track record of influencing editorial colleagues, leading thinking and generating ideas
- Highly organised and able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- A collaborative, flexible working style with experience working in partnership with design and production teams
- Understanding of usage rights, permissions and copyright
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.