The Times and The Sunday Times, Senior Social Media Journalist - Maternity Cover
- Full Time
The Times and The Sunday Times are looking for a senior social media journalist for a one-year maternity cover contract.
The successful candidate will help bring our stories to life by combining excellent writing skills with an intimate knowledge of what works on social media. Your expertise will be called on across the newsroom and by all editorial desks, working closely with editors, journalists, designers and multimedia teams to present a variety of content types in the best possible way.
You will be responsible for running social media projects as well as forward planning with editorial desks to identify areas of high social media opportunity. You will closely analyse data and feed insights into commissioning editors as well as being a key ambassador for social-led thinking among the sections you work with.
Expertise in optimising copy for social media, choosing the best format in which to present stories, sourcing stories through social media and using data to inform your decisions are essential. You’ll be a keen innovator with lots of ideas and the ability to run controlled tests that can inform long-term strategies.
Apply with your CV and a covering letter by August 1
- Writing and editing copy as well as adapting pictures and multimedia for social media platforms
- A track record of creating social media activity that engages its intended audience
- A strong and confident communicator, able to champion the use of social media to the wider newsroom
- Ability to pull editorial insights from data, understanding various platform-specific metrics to inform decisions
- Expertise in creative storytelling: comfortable using a variety of techniques, from GIFs to interactives, polls to live Q&As
This job is for you if
- You have a minimum of three years working in a similar role
- You thrive under pressure and can work to tight deadlines while maintaining high standards
- You’re passionate about the future of digital journalism and the part social media plays in it
- You have lots of ideas and the organisational skills to execute them
- You can work well independently or as part of a team, with experience of leading on social media projects
- You enjoy keeping up to date with social trends and researching emerging platforms
The digital development and strategy department includes data journalists, newsroom developers, multimedia journalists, interactive news producers and audience development experts.
These teams find and tell stories on our digital platforms in the most appropriate formats and empower the newsroom to present stories in new and innovative ways.
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.