Role purpose and overview
Bringing readers closer both to our journalism and our journalists are key pillars of The Telegraph’s subscriber-first engagement strategy and, as Community Moderator, you will be part of a team responsible for cultivating The Telegraph’s commenting community.
You will work with Community and Editorial teams to increase the quantity of below the line interactions while also ensuring the quality of discussion adheres to community guidelines and all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Maintain a high level of debate and engagement on applicable Telegraph platforms and nurture an environment conducive to debate and discussion.
- Periodic inspection of published content across all online channels, ensuring nothing has been posted which may be deemed as racist, sexist, personal abuse, homophobic, inciting religious hatred, libelous or defamatory.
- Identify and escalate where necessary any trends or irregular activity to the Head of Editorial Community, your colleagues and the Editorial Community team.
- Prioritising ad-hoc requests and/or instructions from the Head of Editorial Community, Editorial Community team and Editorial stakeholders, taking the appropriate action and confirming where necessary.
- Manage all user email contact received into email@example.com, utilising approved templates and adhering to agreed service levels and quality standards.
- The desk will be covered from 6am-10pm midweek and from 9am-5pm at weekends, so you will work on a rota basis which reflects these hours.
- Previous experience in a community moderation role or comparable social media management or online customer-facing role
- Demonstrable understanding of the role of community moderation in online debate
- Strong familiarity with Telegraph website, apps and associated microsites
- Ability to build strong relationships to handle the challenges of accommodating the needs and requests of editorial stakeholders
- A strong level of general knowledge and a keen appreciation of the breadth of the Telegraph’s journalism, particularly in key content areas such as news, politics, and lifestyle
- Previous journalistic experience would be preferable
- Previous experience of working with content management systems including Adobe Experience Manager and Livefyre
- Working knowledge of workflow and communication applications like Trello and Slack
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.