The Big Issue are now looking for a creative and self-motivated Production Editor, to lead the production process for The Big Issue magazine and digital. Reporting to the Editorial Director the successful candidate will also oversee any other publications or online projects produced by The Big Issue including inhouse or external commercial work.
Day to day duties of the production Editor will include:
- Manage and implement workflow patterns, including timings of content contributions from staff, freelancers, and external partners
- Get the magazine to print on deadline - prepare and manage collection of pages for print
- Focus on making complex ideas comprehensible to a mass readership, without losing the voice of the writer or a sense of style
- Lead and implement style-guide application across Big Issue platforms
- Liaise with printers over the production process, confirming deadlines, flat plans and any other relevant details
- Manage the production team
- Responsible for the entire production process from conception to delivery
Skills & Experience
We are looking for Production Editor with the following:
- Provable experience as a Production Editor, or a similar position
- Experience of managing entire production cycle (including design)
- Knowledge and experience of CMS for web and app content
- Experience in content production systems for preparing and sending page to print
- Knowledge of brand guardianship
- SEO proficiency
- A firm knowledge of media law
- Experience of managing people
- Strong identification with The Big Issue social goals and mission
Salary and Benefits include:
• Salary commensurate with the third sector, which can be confirmed on request.
• Incremental holiday entitlement starting at 25 days per year plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time staff) plus paid leave to care for a sick child or grandchild and a sick or elderly relation
• Incremental sick pay starting at 5 days per rolling year
• Enhanced contribution to our workplace pension
• Enhanced maternity/paternity pay
• Training and development opportunities including an open learning library and management training schemes
• Health benefits include life cover, a health Cashplan scheme which provides access to counselling and a range of therapies
Please note that we reserve the right to review and amend our staff benefits and they do not form part of any contract of employment.
This role will be based at our Editorial Head Office in Glasgow
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com stating the job title.
The Big Issue Group is striving towards Equal Opportunities
We particularly welcome applications from those who are underrepresented in our sector, such as women in senior roles, and people with disabilities and from Black and Minority Ethnic communities.
Since 1991, The Big Issue has fought poverty by creating opportunities and supporting people to take control of their lives. Over time our organisation has grown and now The Big Issue Group consists of The Big Issue Company Ltd and Big Issue Invest Ltd (our social investment arm). In addition, we also have our sister charity The Big Issue Foundation.
Department: Big Issue Editorial Glasgow
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 35 per week
Salary: On Application