The Times and The Sunday Times are looking for two enterprising graduates with a graphical eye and enthusiasm for data-led storytelling to join our two-year training scheme. Successful trainees are offered a staff job at the end of the scheme.
Data visualisation is essential to our news coverage. Clear and compelling charts help our readers to make sense of the story.
You will work with one of the newest and most innovative data teams in the country. You will work on a mixture of breaking news, visual explainers and longer-term investigations for both digital and print editions.
Candidates with a background in either design or data analysis are encouraged to apply.
We are looking for a person who
- Has a graphical eye for clear and concise visualisation
- Enjoys collaborating with others and works well in groups
- Can clearly and articulately express ideas
- Has excellent communication and people management skills
- Understands the importance of consistency of style
- Works well under pressure and to deadlines
- Spreadsheets (eg Google Sheets or Excel)
- Chart-making (eg Datawrapper or Adobe Illustrator)
- A passion for news and public affairs
- An interest in statistics
- Data programming (eg R, Python, SQL)
- Advanced data visualisation software (eg D3, QGIS, Leaflet, Three.js)
The two-year training scheme is based in London and includes formal journalism training with News Associates, the UK’s No 1 journalism school, as well as on-the-job mentoring, training and development projects.
Apply with a covering letter and your CV by August 10.