Metro.co.uk prides itself on producing some of the most shareable news content in the industry and we are now looking for someone to help us do this even better.
You’ll be a talented and experienced senior digital journalist who instinctively knows what works online and on social media.
You’ll also be obsessively enthusiastic about generating compelling stories which are better than everyone else on the web and be comfortable working with developers to find new ways of making that happen.
The successful candidate will be able to harness social media as a news-gathering source and distribution mechanism for our content.
A strong track record of news gathering, editing and managing and inspiring a team is essential, together with an understanding of digital 24-hour news and the processes and pressures that come with operating in this environment.
Outstanding candidates should also be able to balance editorial objectives in a fast paced news environment. Prior experience in publishing stories and managing reporters is essential.
Responsibilities and key requirements:
- Actively shape Metro.co.uk’s news content and drive traffic and shares through engaging and breaking stories that shape the day’s news agenda
- Manage breaking news and coordinate editors, reporters and photographers
- Ability to write strong headlines that are appealing on social and make people want to share our stories
- NQJ/NCE or equivalent qualification are essential
- Understanding of how to use analytics to generate further stories
- Work closely with picture and multimedia editors to ensure content is always compelling
- Work closely with our social media team to optimise content and drive maximum reader engagement across social media platforms
- Work with the development and product team to implement creative new ways to produce engaging content
- Identify, recruit and train new talent (both staff and freelance) to grow the department
- Management of the department’s editorial content costs
- Excellent industry contacts and strong relationships with picture and news agencies
- Understanding of legal and editorial covenants such as the UK Editors’ Code of Practice, media and copyright law
The above list is not exhaustive and constantly evolving, based on the needs of the business. Out of hours availability and a high level of adaptability is essential.
Please apply by sending an up-to-date CV, a note about yourself and why you’d be perfect for the team.
Any applications received without a CV will not be considered.