Role purpose and overview
The SEO Analyst will work with the team to provide real-time insights and recommendations on search topics relevant to the Telegraph audience.
Working on the newsroom floor, the Audience team is an integral part of the publication and promotion process, influencing decisions and making recommendations to journalists throughout the day.
The successful candidate will work closely with a variety of desks across a range of newsworthy topics, from ongoing stories to breaking news.
You can expect a fast-paced environment where no day is the same. The output is heavily influenced by the news agenda, and we take a flexible approach to the day’s work as priorities can quickly change.
We also work closely with a variety of digital journalism teams, including Social, Graphics, Video and Analytics, to provide a holistic approach to digital publishing, so you’ll have the opportunity to build and develop close ties with these teams.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
As part of the Editorial Optimisation team, the successful candidate will be provided with training on all tools and reports required for the role, both internally and externally. We also ensure all team members receive ongoing support and regular face to face time in order to develop their skills, with the opportunity to gain experience across a range of digital teams.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Provide SEO support to the newsroom throughout the day so that daily news-driven events perform in search.
- Ensure the newsroom are aware of trending search topics, and key areas of interest within these topics.
- Put forward editorial recommendations, both for headline and content, to cover key terms and grow the search audience.
- Work with the Evergreen SEO team to provide a seamless transition from planned events to live SEO.
- Make changes or recommendations to content flagged by Audience Analysts as overindexing or underperforming.
- Report on performance against targets and propose improvements or alternative approaches to help the team contribute to the company goals.
- Providing flexible cover during large, search friendly news events.
- Develop relationships with desks throughout the newsroom, and work closely with the Audience team to continually grow our search audience.
- Demonstrable SEO experience, especially around content optimisation, is essential for this role.
- A keen interest in publishing and news/current affairs is essential. Experience within a newsroom would be desirable, though not essential.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Confident approach to building relationships with teams across the newsroom.
- A proactive and enthusiastic mindset.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.