Senior Social Media Journalist for the Sun Online.
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
Your Role: At a time of significant digital growth and expansion for The Sun Online we’re looking for a talented, highly motivated, resourceful individual, with a deep knowledge of social media platforms and current affairs to join our award winning team at the heart of the newsroom.
Day to day:
- Report into the Head of Social Media.
- Play a key role in the ongoing development and execution of The Sun's social media strategy.
- Curate content from across Sun Online to satisfy a diverse range of audience demographics.
- Edit and maintain The Sun’s social media channels to a high standard in close conjunction with the rest of the team.
- Contribute to The Sun’s adoption of emerging social platforms and tools, and take responsibility for the growth of The Sun’s new social channels.
- Work directly with editorial, video, picture, commercial and marketing teams, ensuring their respective demands are met
- As a team, ensure the newsroom has sufficient insight to produce Internet-friendly stories, and take responsibility for their subsequent distribution on social media channels.
- Help mentor and train junior members of the team.
- Take leadership of a shift in the absence of the Head and Deputy Head, including attending conferences and providing social guidance to senior management
- Focus on targets and be clear on what is required in order to meet them, including reporting on various aspects to better inform the team.
- Work flexibly, including evening and weekend shifts.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Deep knowledge of social media platforms, news and current affairs
- Unflappable under pressure and delivers work at a consistently high standard
- Pro-active and displays a willingness to take on any task
- Positive attitude and good team player
- Takes initiative in order to achieve desired results
- Self-starter, organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the The Sun brand, both print and digital
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.