Assistant Online Sports Editor - We are looking for a talented editor who is thoroughly passionate about all things journalism and sports to join our Online Sports team. The Assistant Online Sports Editor would support the Online Sports editor in ensuring we deliver high quality, exclusive sports content which drives traffic and engagement amongst our readers.
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Team: We are The Scottish Sun. The Scottish Sun is Scotland’s No.1, award-winning newsbrand. The Scottish Sun cares about quality of life, the kind of world we live in, and about people. The Scottish Sun is more than a newspaper. It is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse and a daily relationship. The Scottish Sun strives to the very highest standards of accuracy in its reporting, and continues to invest in original journalism in print and online.
Day to day:
- You will take a lead role in guiding the output of The Scottish Sun sports team
- You will produce great story and feature ideas that capture the imagination of our audience and set the agenda in Scottish sport
- Stay on top of the UK and Scottish sports conversations and developments to ensure we are the first with breaking news and live stories
- Ensure our content always sparkles on social media and help grow our audiences
- Oversee output of the sport team to check that SEO best practice is being followed
- Produce unmissable, shareable articles that interest and engage with our audience
- Take on responsibility for the football page to ensure it is packed with outstanding, creative and must-read content to maximise traffic
- Work closely with colleagues across The Scottish Sun as part of our integrated news team
What we’re looking for from you:
- Passion for all things journalism and sports, with an inquisitive mind and impeccable eye for detail.
- Someone who strives to ensure the Scottish Sun Sports page is packed with outstanding, creative and engaging news which has been polished to the highest standard and in a format which appeals to our Scottish Sun readers.
- An understanding of how to recirculate readers within Scottish Sun Online, keeping them engaged in content and ensuring we get maximum impact through our social media channels and SEO.
- Someone who will continuously drive improvement in work and content through constructive feedback, coaching and mentoring of staff.
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 25 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.