Location: DMGT Headquarters – London
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
i is looking for an Assistant News Editor to work in its growing newsroom.
The ideal candidate will have excellent judgement and the ability to edit and write quicky and concisely, as well as the skills to plan news features, investigations and exclusive projects. They will work across our digital and print journalism, have good knowledge of media law and at least two years’ experience on the newsdesk or as a senior reporter of a national or major regional news publisher. The role will be hands-on in helping to shape and decide i’s coverage on the major stories of the day, both online and in print.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
- Helping to lead our team of specialist correspondents and reporters.
- Work with reporters to come up with ideas for news features, investigations and long-form reads, including for i's flagship iweekend edition
- Commissioning news and features for publication across our digital and print products.
- Editing copy.
- Liaising with reporters, editors and news exec colleagues to deliver brilliant coverage – while hitting news deadlines. This includes the teatime app edition and the print edition.
- Copy tasting, identifying breaking stories, suggesting original angles on agenda news.
- Presenting story ideas to editors at conference on occasion.
- A self-starter bursting with ideas and a track record in developing exclusive journalism.
- Two years’ experience on national or major regional newsdesks, news websites or as a senior reporter.
- Commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Excellent knowledge of the home news agenda from Westminster to entertainment.
- Strong news judgement – and an ability to spot news stories and make the case for them in conference or to individual editors.
- Superb news and feature writing skills and the ability to work at speed accurately and under pressure.
- Ability to give direction, advice and feedback to reporters.
- Understanding of the unique demands of digital and print publishing.
- Approach the news agenda in a creative and original manner.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
- Experience of using analytics in a newsroom setting to help inform commissioning
- Awareness of different digital publishing formats and their different needs
- A desire to play a central role in the heartbeat of a busy newsroom with all the demands it brings
dmg media’s brands deliver highly engaging, trusted content to millions of loyal customers around the globe, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Together, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Metro, i, MailOnline, Mail Plus, metro.co.uk and inews.co.uk reach more than 11m people daily in the UK.* Globally, our brands reach 180m unique browsers every month.** In March 2021, the business acquired the world’s leading science title, New Scientist.
dmg media’s newsbrands are expert at getting to the bottom of the stories most relevant to their readers.
*PAMCo 1 2020 ** Omniture April 2021
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.