The Independent has always been “condemned to innovate”, and has always done so. It has many “firsts” to its credit, including its own creation. It was the first British newspaper to add a Saturday magazine; the first broadsheet to go tabloid; the first to give stunning photography the same prestige as a news or feature story; the first to challenge the Westminster lobby system of closed briefings (“a self-satisfied cabal”); the first to launch a concise quality compact paper, i, in 2010; the first to launch an edition for children; and the first to go fully digital, in 2016. We felt then that our resources would best be concentrated on this growing medium, and progress since has justified that.
Through The Independent Daily Edition app, The Independent and indy100 websites, via social media and via the membership service, Independent Premium, we hope to continue the work of many decades, and to make our voice ever louder and more insistent the world over; across generations, genders and cultures. Every minute of every day we are forging new bonds with new audiences.
Today we have teams across the globe, from Delhi, Moscow and the Middle East, through to London, New York and Los Angeles.
The Independent is looking for a Commissioning Editor to join its award-winning comment desk, Voices.
The successful candidate will be a team player with an excellent and diverse contacts book, a passion for representing varied opinions on the biggest news stories of the day, and a good knowledge of all aspects of digital journalism – including social media and SEO.
We are looking for someone who reads the news compulsively; who has an opinion on everything but also the ability to work fairly and diplomatically with people who might hold opposing views to their own; who prides themselves on snappy headline-writing and excellent copy-editing; and who can engage audiences in innovative ways.
- Experience of working in comment journalism, or for a mainstream publication in a related capacity.
- Proven track record in building new audiences and introducing exciting writers to a digital space.
- Strong understanding of social media.
- Resilient and friendly in a busy newsroom with competing demands.
- Confident in writing and on the phone, checking facts with organisations and reaching out to prominent public figures.
- Experience using a CMS.
- Excellent writer with the ability to turn around an opinion piece at short notice if needed.
- Happy to communicate across different desks and mindful of how an opinion story can collaborate with news, video, features and any other sections.
- Good timekeeping with ability to work quickly and accurately.
- Working as a member of a close-knit team delivering a diverse list of opinion pieces each day.
- Suggesting topical ideas each day (as well as potential writers to commission)
- Attending meetings to represent the desk when needed.
- Writing opinion pieces when called upon.
- Commissioning writers appropriate for a wide range of different subjects.
- Maintaining good relationships with long-standing columnists and guiding ideas for their pieces.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.