The Big Issue is an award-winning publication which has challenged and shaped public perceptions, and become synonymous with provocative, independent journalism. We are seeking a hugely talented, inspirational Art Director who relishes the opportunity to put their stamp on a globally respected iconic brand.
As we hit our 30th anniversary, we prepare to reinvent again who we are and how we present ourselves to the world. The Art Director has a rare opportunity to use their creative vision to take The Big Issue to the next level. Unlike any other publication, your design can immediately better the lives of those in need.
Main duties of the Art Director include:
- Leading and executing the creative direction of The Big Issue organisation
- Overall accountability for design of the weekly magazine
- Leading the Design team to deliver high-quality creative work
- Commissioning illustrators and photographers, with responsibility for artwork budget
- Collaborating with the Production Manager on day-to-day running of production process
- Leading on design for online and video output
Skills & Experience
We are looking for an Art Director with the following:
- Experience as a magazine Art Director or equivalent
- Training and qualifications in art and design
- Experience of commissioning illustrators/photographers
- Self-motivated, with a clear understanding of the nature of the publication and the ability to develop and implement a cohesive visual identity
- Experience of managing staff
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative suite including, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Knowledge of Motion Graphic Software such as After Effects would be advantageous
Salary and Benefits include:
- Salary commensurate with the third sector, which can be confirmed on request.
- Incremental holiday entitlement starting at 25 days per year plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time staff) plus paid leave to care for a sick child or grandchild and a sick or elderly relation
- Incremental sick pay starting at 5 days per rolling year
- Enhanced contribution to our workplace pension
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay
- Comprehensive flexible working policy open to all staff
- Training and development opportunities including an open learning library and management training schemes
- Health benefits include life cover, a health Cashplan scheme which provides access to counselling and a range of therapies
Please note that we reserve the right to review and amend our staff benefits and they do not form part of any contract of employment.
This role will be based at our Editorial Head Office in Glasgow, with the possibility of some remote working.
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com stating the job title.
The Big Issue Group is striving towards Equal Opportunities
We particularly welcome applications from those who are underrepresented in our sector, such as women in senior roles, and people with disabilities and from Black and Minority Ethnic communities.
Since 1991, The Big Issue has fought poverty by creating opportunities and supporting people to take control of their lives. Over time our organisation has grown and now The Big Issue Group consists of The Big Issue Company Ltd and Big Issue Invest Ltd (our social investment arm). In addition, we also have our sister charity The Big Issue Foundation.