WE ARE IMMEDIATE
Immediate Media is the special interest content and platform company. We own and operate some of the best-loved brands in the UK including BBC Countryfile Magazine, Gardens Illustrated, BikeRadar and Simply Sewing Magazine. And we only focus on special interest markets, engaging over 82 million passionate consumers globally each month, offering them world-class content and innovative new products and services.
We sum up our mission in three words: Content. Passion. Engagement. Our focus is to help our audiences get the most out of the things they love, whatever they spend their time and energy on. Our people are as passionate about their subjects as our consumers. We’re focussed on growth across our business and we are constantly looking for new and exciting ways to innovate.
We pride ourselves on our open, collaborative and dynamic culture which encourages people to thrive, and give their best whilst being supported, developed and nurtured. As we care about our people, our environment and the impact we make, we have an active Diversity & Inclusion network, comprehensive well-being programmes, and clear sustainability strategies.
For us, it’s really important to connect with our people, particularly as we’re all remote right now. So, we’ve developed a programme of events, workshops and webinars with a rich and diverse mix of content to appeal to everyone.
A BIT ABOUT THE ROLE
BBC Science Focus is looking for two new Staff Writers.
BBC Science Focus is an award-winning print magazine, with a fast-growing website and podcast. We’ve enjoyed considerable digital growth over the last 18 months, and we’re looking for two individuals who will help us take this to the next level.
We're looking for journalists who are passionate about science and technology, who are clued up on best SEO practice and who will enjoy having their own projects to cultivate. This means you will need to be as comfortable building an attention-grabbing print feature as you would be creating a web piece that will climb the search rankings.
Primarily, you will each have your own section, both in print and online, that you will manage and grow. With our help and guidance, you’ll be expected to meet the demands of a print magazine while identifying and producing the content needed to increase our traffic numbers. Once you’re settled, we’d love to support you to find new ways to expand the reach of your sections.
With time, you’ll also be expected to contribute to the brand’s broader output, writing and commissioning news or features designed to attract broad audiences. We also have a weekly podcast called Instant Genius that you will contribute to.
- Commissioning, editing and writing copy for your own sections
- Building a list of target keywords and creating the content to climb Google’s ranking for those subjects
- Writing/commissioning/checking infographics for your section
- Growing your section online – both on web and social media
- Writing/commissioning features or news for print/online
- Writing any other piece of copy requested by the editor or managing editor
- Maintaining a healthy network of contacts at the BBC, radio and TV
- Contributing to podcast interviews
- Generating ideas for future issues
- Ensuring all copy produced adheres to BBC editorial standards
A BIT ABOUT YOU
A science or tech background would be beneficial for this role (though not an essential), as it helps to catch errors and inaccuracies that can creep in when reporting on scientific discoveries.
Ultimately these roles will suit those who have a passion for science journalism and who understand how the web works. Plus, we’re looking for someone who’s bursting with ideas. Both roles would suit a journalist with some experience under their belt who’s hoping to take on more responsibility and would enjoy the opportunity to work on their own projects. Your experience and interests will help us decide how we allocate sections once you start the role.
- SEO: familiarity with the ins and outs of keyword research
- SEO: familiarity with the conventions needed to build optimised pages
- Analytics: able to read and use reporting tools like Google Analytics and Search Console
- Awareness of different Google platforms
- Have an eye for what makes a great science story and what angle Science Focus should take
- Able to write succinct, clear and informative copy that conveys tricky concepts simply
- Confident communicator who’s happy working with different teams – internal and external
- Tenacity to chase experts and interviewees, to get the access and insight our readers want
- Visual thinker: able to digest data and marry images, infographics and copy to convey ideas
- Familiar with InDesign, Photoshop and content management systems
- Experience writing for magazines and/or websites
- Self-starter: able to build and grow their own work streams in order to get new projects up and running
- Ideas: great at coming with original feature angles that work well in print and online
We’re committed to building a diverse group of talent with a broad range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities and will give full and fair consideration to all applicants.
We know that flexibility is key to success and our people work flexibly in many different ways, so if this is important to you please let us know.
As you apply, we’ll ask you to share some personal information which will help us understand how we’re doing in our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We’d really appreciate if you’d take a few moments to complete this but if you’d rather not that’s fine too. Rest assured; we’ll treat your information confidentially.