Join The National as Social Media Journalist and you will be part of both The National's global social media team and its team in London, working closely with colleagues dotted around the world - from Egypt to the United States. You will combine your passion for news and social media to create compelling posts and engagement across the publisher's social media accounts.
You will know how to sell a story to the right audience on the right platform and you will have your finger on the pulse of worldwide trends and a thirst for pitching stories, creating innovative content and exploring new storytelling formats.
- Daily publishing on all social platforms - prioritising according to the news agenda and adapting story selection and copy writing to the target audience on each account
- Follow guidelines for different types of social media storytelling to ensure consistency and effectiveness.
- Increase engagement of The National’s social media following by suggesting new and innovative ways to employ social media to drive traffic natively and to other platforms.
- Regular opportunities to pitch and write articles, and produce, film and appear in digital videos, Facebook lives etc, if desired.
- Work with journalists and editors to help them drive traffic by promoting content through their personal social media followings.
- Present local and global trends, pitch ideas and report on The National's social media statistics in daily meetings with the Europe bureau team in London. Will also regularly attend key company-wide editorial meetings representing the social media team, updating colleagues on social media trends and reporting back on upcoming stories and requests.
- Respects the editorial guidelines of The National, avoiding circumstances in which the brand could be brought into disrepute. Upholds the highest standards of accuracy, writing skills and professional etiquette.
Independence and accountability
This role has a high degree of responsibility due to publishing and engaging as The National's trusted and respected brand:
- Must thrive in a busy and ever-changing news environment with shifting priorities.
- Involves shift work, including some weekend working and periods of managing the output on the accounts solo.
- Must have a high level of initiative to determine workflow and workload but must always know when to refer up.
- Professional use of SEO methodologies
- Expert with all social media applications
- Comfortable with content management systems
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Newsroom experience
- Proven digital experience
- Editing skills with newsroom experience
- Proven experience working with all key social media platforms, publishing tools, CMS, photo editing, media card design tools, social listening, video files, metadata etc
- Knowledge of and interest in the Middle East and the Arab diaspora is also an advantage.
Please note this role will be based in London, will involve working shifts, and the successful candidate must already have the right to work in the UK.
The Company encourages applications from all sectors of the community.