Newsweek is looking for a full-time Newsletter and Briefings Reporter/Producer to add to its news coverage, grow original journalism and continue to build Newsweek.com as a destination for audiences.
We’re looking for someone with excellent knowledge of U.S., U.K. and international news, who understands how appointment building works across newsletters, the site and apps; can think creatively, innovative and someone who is full of creative storytelling ideas with angles nobody else has thought of.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in newsletter formats (and/or be willing to learn quickly and enthusiastically) along with how to make them a compelling read.
- Write for, commission and help edit our existing flagship newsletter The Bulletin and grow its imprint and impact
- Launch new newsletters to build daily and/or weekly appointments with the Newsweek audience
- Lead the way on audience acquisition and conversion across briefings and newsletters
- Build contacts and sources in order to break exclusive lines on Newsweek.com and adding value to every story we tell
- Assist the social team to break news across our social platforms and wider networks
- Develop a relationship with Newsweek’s audience and engage more people more often
- Help turn briefing journalism into habit-forming behavior with audiences and user subscriptions
- Identify growth topics and issues Newsweek should care about, leading the way in distilling complex issues into succinct updates
- Monitor analytics, publishing tools and optimization data, identifying weak points and capitalizing on successes
- Experience of writing newsletters and/or briefings
- Demonstrable knowledge of newsletter growth and how that leads to audience loyalty and subscriptions
- Understanding of the U.S. news cycle and what engages American and international audiences
- A track record of innovation and trying new things in new ways across the web
- A bulging contacts book suitable for a U.S. and international publisher
- Good news sense
- Knowledge of media law
- Willingness to work in a dynamic, fast-paced 24/7 news environment
- Excellent spelling and grammar