The night news editor is responsible for daily news coverage for the Telegraph website and newspaper during late shifts.
You will work as part of the newsdesk team to ensure coverage of stories is of the highest quality, including identifying stories which we should be reporting on and responding to breaking news.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Responsible for identifying, commissioning and editing stories for the website and newspaper.
- Manages reporters and runs the newsdesk and news section of the website in the absence of the news editor.
- Liaises with the editor and other senior editorial staff over late breaking stories.
- Creates a plan to help morning newsdesk staff begin the day online.
- Responsible for news and foreign content during late shifts, including making decisions about late changes to the newspaper.
- Pitches stories to the news editor, and once confident in the role to the editor and other senior editorial staff at the late conference.
- Previous experience of news editing, with the ability to recognise and prioritise news stories.
- Excellent knowledge of current affairs.
- Experience of working to tight daily deadlines.
- Be familiar with and have experience of digital storytelling techniques, online publishing and SEO.
- Have a good working understanding of social media channels.
- Able to work well in a team, be flexible and reactive.
- Confident expressing views, but able to see others’ points of view and respond positively to feedback.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.