Newsweek is looking for a Newsletter and Briefings Editor to add to its news coverage, grow original journalism and continue to build Newsweek as a destination for audiences.
We’re looking for someone with excellent knowledge of U.S., U.K. and international news, who understands how appointment building works across newsletters, the site and apps; can think creatively, innovative and someone who is full of creative storytelling ideas with angles nobody else has thought of. The ideal candidate will be experienced in knowing how to grow newsletters and briefings along with the work needed to make them a compelling read.
Newsweek is a large global publisher with people working in New York, London, Delhi and elsewhere and growing quickly across the globe.
- Run our existing flagship newsletter The Bulletin and grow its imprint and impact
- Grow existing and launch new newsletters to build daily and/or weekly appointments with the Newsweek audience
- Lead the way on audience acquisition and conversion across briefings and newsletters
- Build contacts and sources in order to break exclusive lines on Newsweek.com and adding value to every story we tell
- Assist the social team to break news across our social platforms and wider networks
- Develop a relationship with Newsweek’s audience and engage more people more often
- Help turn briefing journalism into habit-forming behaviour with audiences and user subscriptions
- Identify growth topics and issues Newsweek should care about, leading the way in distilling complex issues into succinct updates
- Monitor analytics, publishing tools and optimization data, identifying weak points and capitalizing on successes
- Extensive experience of editing, commissioning and writing newsletters and/or briefings
- Demonstrable knowledge of newsletter growth and how that leads to audience loyalty and subscriptions
- Understanding of the U.S. news cycle and what engages American and international audiences
- A track record of innovation and trying new things in new ways across the web
- A bulging contacts book suitable for a U.S. and international publisher
- Good news sense
- Knowledge of media law
- Willingness to work in a dynamic, fast-paced 24/7 news environment
- Excellent spelling and grammar
This is a full-time position with the ability to work from home or from our London Canary Wharf office. All staff are temporarily working from home due to the COVID-19 situation.