Deputy Chief Sub Editor - The Scottish Sun is recruiting a Deputy Chief Sub Editor to join our talented team. The ideal candidate will have substantial experience in tabloid subbing, have a flair for snappy storytelling and be a great headline writer. They will also have a proven track record in leading or helping to drive a team and have a real skill for spotting hidden gems in reams of copy.
A can-do attitude, great sense of humour, bags of drive, being organised, meticulous about detail as well as being able to polish both original and subbed copy accurately to extremely high standards under pressure is a must.
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Team: We are The Scottish Sun. The Scottish Sun is Scotland’s No.1, award-winning newsbrand. The Scottish Sun cares about quality of life, the kind of world we live in, and about people. The Scottish Sun is more than a newspaper. It is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse and a daily relationship. The Scottish Sun strives to the very highest standards of accuracy in its reporting, and continues to invest in original journalism in print and online.
Your Role: We are looking for a talented Deputy Chief Sub Editor on a permanent basis. You will support and stand in for the Chief Sub Editor in driving a team of highly-skilled News Subs, making our pages stand out from the opposition. This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious sub to develop their managerial skills and help everyone in a team fulfil their potential.
Day to day:
- Revising/improving subs’ copy, captions, headlines and furniture to the highest standards before going to print.
- Turning ordinary tales into sparkling copy, quickly, accurately and with imagination.
- Writing eye-grabbing headlines. Headlines are what make The Scottish Sun stand out from the opposition and our production staff are master craftsmen and women of the English language.
- An obsessive interest in news, popular culture, showbiz, current affairs and trends.
- Liaising closely with the back bench and working flexibly as part of a team across a seven-day rota
- Assisting the Chief Sub Editor with rotas, projects and mentoring.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Substantial experience in production journalism and ideally, a track record of leading or helping to drive, develop and motivate a team.
- A proven talent for tabloid story-telling. You must be familiar with working to tight deadlines with accuracy and a stickler for the high standards for which The Scottish Sun is renowned.
- Meticulous fact-checker and impeccable attention to detail. An instinct for pulling out the best lines in reams of copy is essential.
- Be fully up to speed with potential legal pitfalls and must always act in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct.
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- 38 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.