Do you have a proven track record of reporting on a variety of topics with speed, accuracy and flair on social media? Are you a news junkie who cares deeply about U.S. and international stories, and thinks creatively about how to distribute them to large audiences? Do you thrive on building audience, reach and engagement for news brands in ever-evolving digital spaces?
We’re looking for an editor to help package and distribute NBC News’ best stories across its homepage, app and social media accounts. The ideal candidate will be a talented headline writer, have a passion for analytics and SEO and have strong news judgment. They need to be a breaking news junkie, and love to get important stories in front of as many eyes as possible. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in mobile trends, and have experience programming digital platforms or social accounts for a major news organization. They will know what compels audiences to read stories and watch video on mobile and desktop.
Working from our London bureau and on weekends, you will be part of a small but dedicated crew that is crucial in keeping our highly-engaged audiences up to date. Experience and comfort working independently is a must.
This position requires the ability to make decisions under pressure and to change footing quickly and multitask when news breaks. The editor needs to show immaculate attention to detail, as well as a sense for the mix — balance, diversity and tone — of stories on our platforms. The candidate must also have the skill set of a frontline news editor: a breadth of knowledge about U.S. and international stories, an ability to copy edit and experience with digital publishing in a content management system.
This is a full-time, 12 month fixed term contract position based in London. It will require working Saturday or Sunday.
- Working independently using flawless news judgment to update multiple platforms while juggling many of the tasks below
- Distributing breaking news and original reporting via NBC News and MSNBC’s social accounts, with a particular focus on Facebook and Twitter.
- Pitching requests to reporters and correspondents in the field for social content
- Engaging with real-time analytics and tracking audience behavior to help inform promotion and optimization opportunities.
- Working with the photo team to illustrate stories on the homepages and app
- Helping organize editorial planning across the weekend; execute promotion of weekend network specials; coordinating with the rest of the social media team over different time zones.
- Curating the NBC News app, NBCNews.com and MSNBC.com with a lively mix of breaking news, politics, enterprise reporting and video
- Writing and editing mobile alerts for app and email
- Writing sharp, compelling headlines for A/B testing
- Distributing and pitching stories to Apple News, Smartnews, Flipboard, etc.
Qualifications and desired characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and comparable work experience.
- Eye for spotting trends on social media, emphasis on global news.
- Experience building social media audiences across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit and TikTok.
- Writing concise, accurate and contextualized social media posts for news, and breaking news
- Three or more years working in a digital newsroom. One or more years working in social media desirable.
- Editing in a newsroom environment preferred, including experience with breaking news.
- Experience and comfort with working independently and multi-tasking during high-pressure situations.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and communication skills.
- Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive but highly rewarding news environment.
- An awareness of NBC News and MSNBC personalities and brands.