The Evening Standard is an iconic London title that sets the agenda in politics and business, as well as being first with lifestyle content, major news and sports stories, in print and online. Our future focus is on growing audiences and revenue with a digital first approach.
The news team
The News team is at the heart of the Evening Standard with a long-standing reputation for breaking exclusive, agenda-setting stories that are followed by national newspapers, broadcasters and media around the world.
As we move to a fully-integrated, digital first operation, the News team will continue to ensure that the Standard is first with breaking news across all platforms.
A reporter’s role is to work with the Newsdesk and senior executives to produce exclusive, digital first content and comprehensive news coverage across all platforms. The role is a core part of the weekend team for the Evening Standard, working on Saturdays and Sundays plus three days during the week.
You have newsroom experience and are capable of working across multiple platforms to produce and source digital first exclusive stories, pictures and video and cover breaking news around the clock.
You have the ability to produce swift and accurate content, thrive in a fast-paced news environment and take direction from managers.
Skills and Experience
- Experience working in a dynamic and fast-moving news environment, a quick, accurate and confident writer
- Ability to work with the Newdesk and senior executives to help produce digital first exclusive content and cover breaking news across multiple platforms.
- A good understanding of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice to help ensure all content is legally safe and compliant with expected standards.
- A capable communicator able to respond to direction from the Newsdesk and senior staff.
- Knowledge of current affairs including politics, crime, business, arts, celebrity news, education, health, environment, technology, foreign news and Royal stories.
- Experience using CMS systems.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Producing and sourcing digital first stories, pictures, video and audio content for the London Evening Standard across all platforms.
- Helping to ensure the Evening Standard continues to be first with breaking news.
- Delivering content in a timely manner, legally safe and compliant form.
- Helping to generate and deliver ideas for special projects, investigations and in-depth pieces.
- Responding quickly to instructions from the Newsdesk and senior editors and ensuring these are delivered in full.
- Working the necessary hours to help staff the newsroom across the full week.
- You will be accountable to the Executive Editor/Head of News and other senior executives.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
Please click 'APPLY NOW' and send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Evening Standard is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.