Role purpose and overview
From the fate of Sanjeev Gupta’s steel empire to ministerial plans for electric car battery “gigafactories” across the UK and a rash of private equity takeovers in the defence sector, The Industry Editor covers many of the biggest business stories today.
This is a senior reporting role at the heart of The Telegraph business team, working across online and print. The Industry Editor delivers news, features and interviews on engineering companies such as Rolls-Royce, car makers including Jaguar Land Rover and the defence giant BAE.
This journalist is expected to know their way around the City, Whitehall and the factory floor. The wherewithal to spot a story in a set of accounts is as crucial, as are the interpersonal skills to get a reluctant source talking.
The Industry Editor will explore the changes brought about by Brexit and the pandemic, help chart the transition to electric vehicles and deliver scoops on the deals that Telegraph readers need to know about. The task requires a constantly updated file of influential contacts and the ability to explain complicated trends and technologies to a general audience with style.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Responsible for full coverage of manufacturing, engineering, automotive and defence sectors both in the UK and further afield when needed
- Develop interview and original feature ideas within the sector and beyond
- Financially literate with a clear sense of how money drives decision-making in businesses
- Ability to spot trends before they are widely reported and originate agenda-setting news stories
- Ability to write for other parts of the newspaper when required and travel to report from the front lines of industry
- Aiding the business desk in helping to coach younger reporters in a number of areas when requested
- Being a figurehead for the Telegraph in a crucial sector of business, building up a book of senior contacts
- Helping to maximise digital engagement
- Experience of writing and developing stories on digital and print platforms.
- Experience of working in news at regional, national or international level.
- Solid understanding of digital storytelling and optimisation of content through social media and SEO.
- Digital publishing skills and ability to learn new systems.
- Enthusiasm, imagination and a notebook full of ideas are all essential.
- Able to show initiative and work well under pressure.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.