The FT is looking for a strong news editor to join our Asia editing hub in Hong Kong. We want a dynamic journalist with excellent online and strong interpersonal skills who can coordinate a team of correspondents from Pakistan to Australia.
The job requires the handling of some of the biggest FT stories. It also requires the skills and commitment to support our early online publishing drive. The core responsibility is to jointly run corporate, financial, technology and markets coverage out of the most populous and fastest growing part of the world.
Hong Kong is a vibrant city with something for everyone. The post is a good starting point for someone who wants to consider a move elsewhere in Asia in the future. Given the current COVID-19 restrictions, candidates who are already based in Hong Kong will have an advantage.
- Commission and edit companies, markets and technology news and analysis stories from correspondents around Asia
- Work closely with colleagues on the Hong Kong news-desk to make sure the FT is on top of the biggest stories of the day
- Help brainstorm and discuss longer projects with correspondents and editor colleagues
- Contribute to FT Live events as needed
- Be willing to work odd hours, including weekends, as dictated by news and by weekend duty rosters
- Work with and mentor reporters to advance their writing and reporting skills
- The editor must have great story ideas, excellent copy-editing skills, help lead online publication in the Asian time zone to maximise our readership and deliver copy for the print editions
- Edit and commission a diverse range of fascinating companies, markets, technology and financial stories. From the integration of China’s massive capital flows into global markets to billionaire business tycoons in India and Southeast Asia to the Chaebol of South Korea and the corporate behemoths of Japan, there are few stories in Asia that do not have a global impact
- Strong news judgement is essential – this is a complex part of the world – as is the flexibility to juggle resources
- The candidate needs to be versatile, work within a team and be willing to assist with editing other topics when necessary
- Experience with blogs, interactive output and social media would be an advantage
- Confidence to make bold commissioning decisions and be capable of joining the dots to generate regional and global stories
- Interest in Asia and have ideas for digitally building stories
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.