We have a fantastic opportunity for a journalist for Out-Law, our legal and business news service, to join our team based in Glasgow.
This role is a crucial one in maintaining and developing our market-leading content operation which helps Pinsent Masons stay front-of-mind with clients and prospective clients.
We are seeking a journalist who can generate a steady stream of news, analysis and guide pieces for the website. This will include creating original content based on suggestions from lawyer colleagues and generating news on own initiative which is relevant to our clients and fits with our strategy.
Out-Law carries up-to-the-minute business news, insight and plain English guidance, giving practical tips on business law. The service is a past winner of the internet’s most prestigious award, a Webby, for best law website and is one of the most heavily used legal websites in the world.
The role is based in Glasgow but involves working closely via phone, email and video calls with colleagues around the world. Though the medium is English language this role covers all our locations. Occasional travel may be required.
- sourcing and delivering four pieces of original Out-Law content (news, analysis and guides) per day for publication onto PinsentMasons.com
- liaising with lawyers for comments
- acting as an ambassador for the firm’s approach to publishing
- working closely with the Out-Law editor and ensuring editorial activity is aligned to the firm's broader content, editorial and commercial strategies
- monitoring/ assessing performance of content over time, ensuring content remains relevant, or is archived or deleted in a timely fashion.
- optimising all content to ensure the taxonomy/tagging is applied fully to all content, thereby ensuring it is 'surfaced' on all relevant areas of the site
- optimising all content for SEO purposes
- identification and escalation of site/CMS issues
- supporting the firm's approach to e-mail marketing
- supporting the firm's PR team in maintaining a presence across social media channels.
Our ideal candidate will have previous reporting, journalist or copywriting experience or similar. We would be keen to hear from candidates who might not have legal or professional services experience but who would have an interest in developing their skills in this area.
- Some digital publishing experience
- Experience working in a fast-paced publishing environment such as a national news outlet or trade magazine is preferable
- Fluency in French, German, Spanish or Chinese would be beneficial
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Good time management and organisational skills with acute attention to detail.
- Audio visual production knowledge an advantage
- Digital skills including use of content management systems (ideally Sitecore) desirable
- Meticulous eye for detail and accuracy
- Good IT skills – knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required.
- Join a global, innovative and forward thinking firm;
- Agile working i.e. the opportunity to work from home, subject to diary commitments;
- 25 days annual leave entitlement and the opportunity to purchase or roll over 5 days;
- Up to 5 days' carers/parental leave per year;
- Contributory pension of up to 5%;
- Private healthcare;
- Death in service cover (4 x base salary);
- Eligibility to apply for an interest free season ticket loan, an interest free gym membership loan and/or an interest free rental deposit loan;
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Access to training and development to refresh or enhance your current skillset;
For any queries or for a copy of the full job description then please contact our in-house recruiter Glenn Wilshaw. Please note we only accept CVs that are logged on the Recruitment portal.