About the job
The Independent is an online news brand that was established in 1986 as a politically independent national newspaper. In 2016, The Independent became a fully digital publisher, moving away from print in pursuit of sustainability, and to keep its values alive. Through The Independent and Indy100 websites, its subscription and contribution services, as well as its syndication and advertising businesses, The Independent has more than 100 million unique global visitors a month.
The Independent is looking for a Deputy International Editor to play a key role in commissioning, editing and publishing stories from our correspondents and contributors around the world.
The ideal candidate will have first-hand foreign reporting experience, a good knowledge of international affairs as well as a deep understanding of all aspects of online journalism.
You must be confident leading coverage of breaking stories, driving exclusives, spotting great follow-ups and writing enticing headlines.
- Commission, edit and publish breaking news stories and longer-term exclusives
- Write engaging headlines for all articles, including news, features, analysis and comment
- Work closely and collaboratively with senior news editors and other department heads
- Work with the audience team to ensure articles adhere to key SEO principles
Skills and experience
- At least two years’ experience in a similar role for a national newspaper or news website
- A proven track record of editing breaking news under intense deadline pressure
- Skilled at writing engaging headlines
- Understanding of how to use SEO and social media to drive audience engagement
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including free onsite gym, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our workforce to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.