The Independent is an online news brand that was established in 1986 as a politically independent national newspaper. In 2016, The Independent became a fully digital publisher, moving away from print in pursuit of sustainability, and to keep its values alive. Through The Independent and Indy100 websites, its subscription and contribution services, as well as its syndication and advertising businesses, The Independent has more than 100 million unique global visitors a month.
The Independent is looking for a junior reporter to cover US news from its London office.
The applicant needs to have a good nose for a story and be able to write fast, accurate copy.
They must have experience of working as a journalist and knowledge of media law and a passion for everything US
- Deliver engaging and shareable stories that are relevant to our audience
- Generate original story ideas
- Produce error-free copy to tight deadlines
- Ensure best-use of images and video content
- Ensure that all content is of the highest possible standard and adheres to ‘house-brand’ requirements, with an awareness of the readers’ point of view. Ensure legal and taste and decency obligation are adhered to.
- Conduct research to uncover interesting and significant news/stories.
- Work across different sections and stand in for colleagues as and when required.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8
Hours: Your hours will be 11am -8pm in order to work alongside our teams in New York and LA. Recruits will have the opportunity to join those teams in the US for big events and permanent assignments down the line.
The Independent is an equal opportunities employer, if you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including free on site gym, great pension, private healthcare and life insurance schemes. We also offer cycle to work and season ticket loan initiatives to make our employees’ journeys to work easier. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.