About the Role
The Researcher’s primary role is to track emerging, global trends across consumer lifestyle and technology, acting as the eyes and ears of Stylus’ content team. With a varied beat that ranges across the future of education & work, relationships, wellness, digital behaviours, demographics and more, you’ll help produce reports of varying format – from pitching ideas to sourcing imagery to translating your research into sparkling copy.
What will be the pandemic’s legacy on how consumers work, play and live? How do Gen Z’s expectations of brands differ from that of millennials? Which innovations will help cities to become more sustainable and resilient to climate change? How is new tech optimising our sleep, fitness and mood? If finding answers to these questions ignites your interest, we’d like to hear from you.
Your day-to-day will entail:
- Research for upcoming reporting in Stylus’ Consumer Attitudes and Technology directories
- Writing short-form blog posts to serve our subscribers with cutting-edge news and trends insights
- Building articles in our CMS (content management system)
- Gathering and scrutinising qualitative and quantitative data, and keeping a keen eye on cross-industry news and releases
- Sourcing strong imagery to illustrate Stylus content
- Ad hoc administrative support to the Assistant Editor and Senior Editor (such as applying for media accreditation or collating research documents
We’ll sometimes ask you to:
- Attend industry events (currently virtual-only due to Covid-19)
- Interview industry experts as part of report research
- Contribute to Stylus’ multimedia output, such as recording three-minute trend videos or giving a viewpoint on our Future Thinking podcast
Required Skills & Qualities
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent practical experience)
- Work experience in a relevant field, such as journalism or trend forecasting
- A curious mind and adaptable attitude, with a passion for understanding consumer behaviour. You’ll by no means be expert in all the industries our directories’ cover, but be willing to turn your hand to a variety of subjects and expand your knowledge
- Excellent research and writing skills – you can identify underlying themes and trends, and translate these into compelling copy (whether that’s short-form blogs or longer reports) that captures Stylus’ house style and tone of voice
- Attention to detail when gathering data and source material – you can tell a useful consumer survey from an industry-sponsored one)
- Visual flair – you can spot what makes a good image, and gather visuals that bring our online content to life
- Working knowledge of Content Management Systems
- Awareness of current diversity and inclusivity discourse, striving to ensure your research considers different demographics and perspectives
- A positive, can-do attitude – you’re willing to take on board editorial feedback and support your colleagues in the wider team
- Fluent communication skills – you’ll be comfortable working with a remote team, interviewing industry experts and representing Stylus at industry events (when relevant)
Stylus is a leading consumer trends and innovation research company with offices in London, New York, Australia, Brazil and Japan. Our team of experts identify, analyse and decode the most important global trends across more than 20 industries. These cross-industry insights are used by more than 500 of the world’s leading consumer brands, businesses and agencies to understand the attitudes and behaviours of their consumers, the products and services they’re using, and how they engage with the world around them.
Stylus recognises the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.