At Hearst UK, there’s always more to the story. Join us as our Sub Editor to start the next chapter in your career.
We’re the UK’s leading premium publisher, and the people behind iconic media brands such as Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar and Country Living. We’ve created a working environment that encourages everyone to pull together. We never stop looking for brave new ideas. We’ll always try to develop and improve, we trust each other to do our best, and we have fun as we build on our heritage to make history.
You will work with the other sub-editors, as well as the luxury art and pictures hubs and the editorial teams of each magazine. Will also at times have dealings with the commercial creative teams.
ABOUT THE ROLE
To sub editorial content for four magazines (ELLE, ELLE Decoration, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar), second-read pages, proof reading, and signing off pages of the magazines. Assist the Deputy chief sub-editors and Chief sub-editor in overseeing the subbing and production process of all pages, from copy stage through to sending pages to press.
Key responsibilities include:
- Subbing raw copy and fitting layouts for all pages of ELLE, ELLE Decoration, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar magazines
- Checking facts, spelling and grammar
- Composing compelling display copy in keeping with house styles
- Subbing any additional editorial or commercial content that arises during the production cycle
- Ensuring that pages meet the brands’ high standards in terms of tone and accuracy, upholding the brands’ unique tone and evolving it
- Sending layouts for legal checks when necessary
- Flagging issues to the Chief sub-editor regarding copy or layouts
- Liaising with Marketing, Digital and Subscriptions departments over relevant pages to ensure they meet requirements
- Second-reading subbed layouts on proof
- Assisting with final reads, signing off pages and proofing
- To be an ambassador of Hearst UK and its values.
You may be required to undertake such further duties as your skills, qualifications and experience allow and/or as may be assigned to you from time to time.
- Experience on a consumer title
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Calm under pressure
- Capable of juggling several tasks at once
- Excellent problem solver
- Good initiative
WHAT WE OFFER
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days)
- Flexible working – we’re happy to discuss options!
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!
There’s more to your story than you imagine. And the next chapter begins right here.