Research Professional News is looking for a talented reporter to join our European news team, working mainly on online daily news and our respected fortnightly digital magazine, Research Europe.
The successful candidate will produce stories ranging from the impact of changes to publishing practices on the research world to how billions of euros of Covid-19 funding is being spent.
We’re looking for someone who can continue our tradition of setting the news agenda for Europe’s research and higher education sectors, producing stories that are must-reads from Brussels to Berlin and circulate in parliamentary offices and university research teams.
The position would suit a reporter with 1-2 years’ experience on a respected B2B or local or national news publication. A demonstrable interest in science and higher education would be a strong advantage, as would knowledge of European Union politics and systems.
The role will be part of a 20-strong editorial team currently working remotely with an expectation that it will be a hybrid office/homework position in London when we return. There will be opportunities for travel in the UK and internationally.
Write daily off-diary and on-diary online news stories for Research Professional News, and news and features for the fortnightly digital magazine Research Europe
Take responsibility for ensuring that Research Professional News is on top of the news agenda in your beat areas and reports developments in a timely manner
Ensure coverage of your beats includes all significant policy announcements and trends, and regular high-impact exclusives—some of which have the potential for exposure in national or international press
Respond proactively to any important stories we have missed by generating follow-on angles
Develop and maintain a network of senior-level contacts across your beats
Represent the Research Professional News publications at conferences, networking and evening events, including through travel to Europe where required and authorised
Regularly pitch ideas for longer form analysis pieces, FOI, investigations and interviews. Research and write longer-form pieces as commissioned
Contribute to other areas of Research Professional News’ coverage as directed, including other beat areas, data pieces and Funding Insight
Deliver accurate, engaging copy, written to house style, to agreed deadlines and word counts
Support the wider team at particularly busy times, for example digital magazine press days
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience as a reporter on a specialist B2B, regional or national publication
- Experience in breaking exclusive news stories
- Understanding of current libel law and approaches needed to mitigate risk
- A keen interest in research, policy and higher education—experience covering these fields will be an advantage
- High levels of literacy and numeracy and a flair for written English
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work successfully independently and as part of a team
- To apply, please send a CV, covering letter, two examples of your reporting and your salary expectations to the deputy editor, Daniel Cressey.